Onkyo TX-DS555 A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Onkyo's Most Affordable DD Receiver

Submitted by ahilgaz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I moved to a bigger place and I needed a stronger amp. Therefore I sold my TX-DS474 and bought the 555. I think itis better than the 474. It is especislly a good amp for dolby digital movies. Do not expect to hear high quality stereo music though. This is a DD amp not a high end stereo amp. However you can get better results by increasing the levels of front speakers to +10.(as in many onkyo AV receivers) Not only the volume gets higher but also the sound quality. Still better stereo sound than many of the digital amps in the same price range. The fan noise is only audible in the sudden silences. The tuner reception is pretty good. And yes the volume is touchy. No DTS or 6.1 but I dont care, DD is good and popular enough.

Purchased At:   local second hand st

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am using Polk speakers and sub all the way around and it almost sounds as good as my car!
(Dont get me wrong my '84 Camaro has a $2000 video head unit with a 6.1 DTS DD decoder 3 amps and 9 speakers: PPI 4x6 in front, 5 1/4 center, 6x9 rear surround, and 4 Audiobahn 12's in the hatch. All the speakers except subs have carbon fiber cones and titanium tweeters. So I do know what good audio sounds like)
This unit sounds extremely good for the price I paid. Very clear sound through all ranges. I agree with previous reviews about the remote. I never hear the fan because we use it mostly for watching DVD movies. The surround is excellent if you get it set up just right. Does need S-Video and more Digital Audio inputs both composite and Toslink. I do like the Phono input allowing me to listen to Led Zeppelin Vinyl style!

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Jeff C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This unit is a marvel. For the price I paid, I don't think I could've got a better unit. Turn it up to half way on the dial, and you have just immersed yourself in some of the clearest, most distinguished natural sound. Use Monster Cable for the best results.

Speakers: Infinity IL-10 x 4
Infinity EntraCenter
Infinity EntraSub

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by TIM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
GOOD QAULITY , BUT WOULD EXPECT BETTER FOR THE MONEY.
SUCH AS HIGHER THD THAN YAMMAH,LUXMAN,GENRAL AUDIO.
OVER ALL NOT A BAD UNIT. EXCEPT FOR 200$ TO MUCH.

Purchased At:   RCWILLEY

Submitted by Michael a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't disagree with what has previously been written, especially regarding getting one as an open box discount. I've been very happy with mine. I do agree that the fan is quite noisy if you are sitting next to the unit, however when playing music, I've never noticed it.

Purchased At:   Mentor TV