Onkyo Integra DTR-5 A/V Receivers

4.33/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $549.00

Premium Digital Surround Receiver. Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro logic.5.1 channel inputs. 70 watts per channel.

Submitted by J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
After reading the reviews and doing a great deal of research in local stores and on the web, etc., I decided upon the DTR-5, a derivation of the then current Onkyo TX-DS575 DD receiver. Long story short, one should heed the warnings of a terminal 'hiss' through all speaker channels. Apparently, neither the retailers or manufacturer is privy to this major performance shortcoming, have since 'forgotten', or do not truly want the product to be superior to mere mass market standards. Current backlog for the 'authorized shop' is several months plus.

Unfortunate for a product with otherwise great potential; hopefully the notorious "hiss" issue has been resolved in subsequent models. Had customer support been forthright in dealing and resolving the issue, things would be different; however, I do not plan on any future consideration.

Purchased At:   Kellum

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I started buliding my home theater very modestly about a year and a half ago with the 1050. I figured I'd upgrade it in the future. I built around it with inexpensive speakers and a cheap DVD player, after all, how good was a $500 receiver going to sound with expensive stuff around it?

I thought I would be happy for a while with my system, but I soon caught the "bug" and grew weary of my budget components. I purchased a pair of Joseph Audio RM25 speakers ($3400), a Pioneer Elite DV 09 ($1500), and a Sunfire Grand Sig amp ($3400). I planned to also replace my Outlaw with the Sunfire Theater Grand mk2 pre-amp ($3400), but had to delay it because of lack of funds.

Good thing! You know what? The Outlaw 1050, all of $500, sounded great with all of that expensive equipment going through it! I even had my friend hook up his Sunfire pre-amp with my system and we could barely hear the difference, no matter what we fed it, be it music or movies. Certainly not enough to justify the $3000 price difference.

This product is a steal at this price. Couple that with an unbelievably helpful service staff (they just about hooked up my system for me) and you have a winning product all around.

Purchased At:   Outlaw Website

Submitted by Scott Olson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great for entry-level surround receiver. Real big sound.
I was comparing the Onkyo Integra and a Yamaha, but I felt that the Integra was a better value and better quality. After all, Onkyo doesn't build motorcycles.

Good price for the speakers at Sound Unlimited also. I got a pair of PSB Alpha A/Vs for $250, I liked them better than the PSB Image 1Bs and much more than the Paradigms in the price range.

The combo is perfect for my small Apartment. I will soon buy the center channel speaker and sub, with another pair of the Alpha A/Vs for the rear surrounds.

Purchased At:   Sound Unlimited

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Not a bad receiver for a 17 year old high schooler to own. This is actually my second Dolby Digital reciver, my first was the famous Technics DX-930, but i never got to use the Dolby Digital part of it. To tell you the truth i came accross this receiver on accident, i was looking for the Onkyo DR-90, and i saw this on sale, the 575 was still $525 there! So i went back later on to buy the DTR-5, while i still had the Technics (i used that to power 2 Rockford Fossgate 10" subs...haha). When i went to get the DTR-5 i had also noticed the DPS-5 hooked up to it and decided to buy that 2 weeks later and finish my home theater. I love everything about this receiver, and would only give it up to buy a upper model Integra!!

TV: Panasonic 27" 27D10
Receiver: Integra DTR-5
DVD: Integra DPS-5
VCR: Panasonic PV-9661
Speakers: JBL HLS 620's and 610's

Purchased At:   State Street Discount

Submitted by Eric Meyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased this receiver back in November after falling in love with it in the store. At $479 (i know you could get it much cheaper now), i felt this receiver would fit my system nicely. After a few months of tweaking (speaker levels, placement, cable swapping...etc), I am still more than happy with this purchase. It's got great, clean sounding audio, especially on the DVD player (also an Integra) and i listen to almost everything else in 5-channel stereo. At 70 watts/channel, you can most certainly find a receiver that would push more watts, but i've never had to turn this one up past 50 or so (out of 80) and can still listen to it downstairs. The remote is excellent, even though it is not backlit, as it offers full-learning functions and macro modes (very helpful, because the dtr-5 does not have the automatic sound level switching when you change sources) and is now the only remote i use. I would have preferred binding posts for all speaker sources (and binding posts that would accept spades in the first place), but overall, with the features and quality of this unit, I don't really think you can go wrong.

System:

Receiver: Integra DTR-5
DVD: Integra CDC-6
CD: Integra DPC-3
Turntable: Denon DP-24F
Fronts: Infinity RS-5
Center: Infinity CC-3
Rears: Infinity Sterling Series 2200
Sub: JBL PSW-1000 (I know, I know...this one's going soon)
Cables: Self-Made

Purchased At:   wish i had bought it at reliable stereo

PANAMAX: