Onkyo Integra DTR-5.1 A/V Receivers

4.81/5 (21 Reviews)

Surround Receiver

Submitted by niles300z a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
Not sure of the model year.
This receiver is my first integra. I have two onkyos. TX-ds797 and a tx-sr502. Both great machines. The 797 is one heavy bit.. the integra seems to be outclassing both of them which has been seconded by a few others that the integra line is a step up. As I peek into the top cover I see some pretty shiny black substantial caps with a gold stripe down the side and am instantly curious. But one listen with a creek cd43 and some klipsch fortes and I know right away. The bass has some weight and the treble is pleasing. It is a pretty sharp looking unit with a clean dynamic sound with a good amount of air helping the fortes image better. I'm impressed. Power supply, tighter tolerances, whatever the reason it just sounds great to me.
I don't even have the remote, and have not tried it yet with movies but for music I think it is a cut above and mates well with good equipment. I even like the silver contrast volume knob. Ten+ years old it still sounds clean, punchy and quite refined. Kudos onkyo integrans. 2up.

Submitted by Paul Dadian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Integra 5.1 at the end of the summer of 2000. I was replacing my Sony 100 watt per channel, pro-logic receiver. I was always a Sony man until I listened to the Integra SMOKE -(@70 watts per) the Sony in a duel at the Soundwaves. The Integra was so crisp and clear, that the music I'd been listening to all of these years must have been choked off from reality by the Sony. I was so impressed by my new Integra that I called the manager @ the SoundWaves and thanked him for showing me this new receiver. The ease of use with the DTS, RS 232, Svideo, etc...etc.. featuresn has conviced me that Onkyo/Integra will be my choice in audio from now on.

Be sure your connections are made with solid cables, Acoustic Research has some excellent cables and great prices -(No need to spend $1000.00 on monster, over priced, cables)

Purchased At:   SoundWaves

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
The DTR 5.1 is a great receiver for the money. When I purchased the unit in January 2001, I believed it to be one of the best values in DTS receivers at that time. I have been using it since then and I have been very satisfied with how it sounds and functions. The power out of each of the five channels is more than adequate for my speakers (Energy Take 5's) mainly due to the high quality construction of the amplifier within the unit. With regards to sound quality, I have experienced what could be described as very natural sound, not colored by too much or too little midrange or high frequencies. I am not sure about low frequency reproduction with full range speakers, since I use a sub. However, my sub (an 8” Energy e:xl-S8) also sounds great, which I am sure has as much to do with the sub as it does with the quality of the output signal. When considering this review please also keep in mind that I am using digital inputs for both the CD player and the DVD player (a Harmon-Kardon FL8350 and Onkyo Integra DPS-5 respectively). Since I rarely play a non-Digital source through this receiver, I really am not in a position to comment on how well it reproduces analog signals.

The only problem that I have with the receiver is that the sound cuts out in DTS mode when the Cinema Re-Equalization function is turned on. When I took the unit to an Onkyo service center for repair, I was told that Cinema Re-EQ is not supposed to be used with DTS and that the only problem was a printing error in the owner’s manual. Regardless, anyone who owns this unit should not use the Cinema Re-EQ function with DTS mode. When the Re-EQ function was turned off, the sound no longer cut out in DTS mode.

Finally, I think this is great receiver and I would recommend it or one of the newer Integra models to others.

Purchased At:   Barret's Home Theate

Submitted by orbital128bit a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought a demo. I listened around before i bought this piece, and the sound was heads above any of the other recievers i heard. Good features, but some features i'd like to see carried over from the onkyo line are the variable crossover and the bass tone control at 50hz instead of 100hz. Overall great piece and a great buy.

Purchased At:   Tune Street

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Integra 5.3 :

Well after much comparing and research I have wound up with this new Integra. First, I started by comparing in person, Onkyo, Denon and Harmon. Though the differences are minor, the Onkyo 600 had a better, clearer treble then the other two, so I bought it.

Things were going good with the Onkyo when about a week later I got a call from Pecar Electronics that the new Integras were in (I told them to put me on the list a month or two ago). Started researching the Integras again, and I couldnt help it but to take the Onkyo back, and get this Integra for only 40.00 more.

Well heres the deal: Im using Energy Take 5.2s w/ 8.2 sub and the sound is definitely smoother and more detailed with the Integra. In one word, SWEET. Ive found that not only is the sound a little more detailed, but that the channel separation is better too. Movies are awesome on this, but music is just great. Now, the Energys are not going to blow you away with db levels, but the Integra makes their little aluminum domes just sing and its a beautiful thing. Ive since becaome a big jazz fan just because of this set up. Snare drums, high hats, sax, guitar..ect.. are so detailed! In two channel mode, it totally sounds like the center channel is on, amazing. In 5 channel it actually gets louder, so you know this baby have real watts...Needless to say Im very happy!! Did I mention it looks kick ass too??

Purchased At:   Pecar Electronics (T