Nakamichi AV-500 A/V Receivers

4.42/5 (74 Reviews)

Submitted by niles300z a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
This unit is legit Nak, and powerful. I can say as good as many of the separates I have been using from NAD,
B & K, AMC etc. Amazing power and control. Proper matching and cables is important,and will reward you.
I am thrilled to have found one. A receiver that can compete with good separates? Who would have thunk it?
A good deal at retail. A steal on the used market. Try one if you like/ need to have a little power around the house for those pesky acoustic suspension speakers from the 80's. My socks are off after listening to the A150's. Truly amazing how much power can help a set of speakers.

Submitted by riveraudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have been listening to separates and receivers from the mid to hi-fi range from B & K, Rotel, NAD, AMC, and Cambridge Audio.In no way was I expecting to get so much out of a receiver.One thing is sure, this unit got much of the best from Nakamichi. There is no way a Sony (at least a non ES) can bring this type of power and performance to the table, so I am not hearing the few critics who say this is not a legit Nak product. At first I was skeptical, as I was getting some harsh, however, once again, proper matching and cabling goes a long, long way. It wasn't until I hooked the unit up to the Boston A150's that I realized the power this unit was capable of, and the harshness disappeared when upgrading to better speakers. I can say that the power this amp produces is better than many of the 100 watt separate amps I have been using, throw in a decent pre-amp, some processing, and a tuner and there you have it. A receiver that rivals separates costing much, much more. A true value to say the least, and I think a sleeper. Kudo's Nak!

Submitted by kentucky1777 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
First of all I've been in the electronics business for 15+ years, I currently have access to the best products from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite and Rotel at accomadation (ie, lower than employee cost) pricing and I'm still using my old Nak warhorse........Why?, because it still blows away anything short of McIntosh or Classe separates (which even at accomadation prices I still can't afford).

I bought it when I worked at Best Buy at employee pricing ($450 retail), I had previously worked a specialty store that was a Nak dealer so I knew what a steal it was being a rebadged AV1 ($800 retail). I know of no other receivers out there that have 120 watts/channel with a legitimate 25 amps of current. you're hard pressed to find this even in separates except at the very high end (ie, $3000+).

Admittedly feature wise its old school, but as others have said hooked up to a DVD player with a decent decoder it will still do a fine 5.1 surround. I used to have it hooked up this way and it was dynamic in its performance. Now I use it as my dedicated 2 channel amp and there's still nothing that has it's rich sound and incredible bass response. I have it currently pushing 2 pairs of speakers simultaniously, NHT towers and M&K bookshelves (4 Ohm) with no complaints and great sound. It is utterly reliable, at one point it was on continuously for 7 years (no typo). If you still listen to FM radio this another high point, it's tuner is better than anything now available (2.0 capture rate).

I have compared it side by side with the best of Denon, Yamaha, Elite and Rotel and none of them (even $2500 units) sound better than my old Nak. Even a $7000 McIntosh integrated amp (200 watts/channel) sounded only marginally better. As long as it keeps working I will never replace it. After 8 years the remote finally died, but I'm currently using an $80 universal remote with no problems.

If you stumble across one of these units it will still out perform anything you can find for 2 channel for less than $1000. They were bargains new and if you find a used one its still a bargain.

Submitted by finswino a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I had the opportunity to work both at Best Buy and a high end audio shop at the time this unit was available. We sold the AV-500 at Best Buy and the AV-1 at the high end shop. I purchased the AV-500 at Best Buy for $275+tax as an employee purchase, it retailed for $450. The AV-1 sold for about $800. I took the AV-500 into the high end shop and popped the top on it and the AV-1. All I can tell you is that they are mirror images of themselves. They are identical in every way. Every internal part is the same part number and layout. And since the circuit topology is the same, I would say that the AV-500 benefits from the Harmonic Time Alignment amplifier technology also; although, it was not advertised as having this feature. The big difference is the front panels. The AV-1 has a metal face plate, where the AV-500 has a curved plastic face plate. All front panel controls are located identically, the display is the same, and the remote controls are identical. Even the Owner's manuals and the specifications for these units are the same. During this time in the late '90's, Nakamichi was fazing out their home audio components and getting into their Soundspace systems. It was probably an easy thing for them to cosmetically change a couple of their models and sell the item thru Best Buy, telling their authorized dealers and customers that it was not the same product sold by Nakamichi dealers. This is true, only as far as the front panel is concerned, otherwise there is no difference.

Submitted by Matthew Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for approx 2.5 years and I must say how dissappointed I was when the left channel blew. I have never turned this reciever up and cranked it yet. Using JBL's with it. Can't believe it. My Technics lasted 28 years. But folks get used to it, yours will blow too and very soon, because thats how these manufacturers make this crap now...disposable. Who in their right mind is going to pay 200 to get this fixed? Nak just lost a customer. But they don't care, they have your money. To the idiot who was raving about this unit and is Mr repair, he must be having a flashback to when Nak made a good product.

TARA LABS: