NAD T770 A/V Receivers

4.6/5 (47 Reviews) MSRP : $1699.00

DD A/V Receiver - 5 x 70 Watts - Dolby Digital decoder - 5 Video inputs; 2 video outputs; all S-Video or Composite - 3 digital inputs; 2 RCA; 1 TOS Link; AC-3 RF - 4 Audio inputs; 1 tape output

Submitted by baggins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
a marriage made in heaven a nad t770 bought for the rediculous price of £80 and hooked up to an assortment of tannoy speakers...am i pleased you bet i am, i love nad equipment and the "nad sound" it just rolls on my ears like honey on my tongue, nothing else to say but i have now one hell of a stereo amp, who cares about what else it can do.

Purchased At:   richer sounds (UK)

Submitted by Alan Young a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I 'upgraded' from a Harman Kardon AVR35 to the NAD after my complete system with stolen from my home in SA. They took everything including a pair of huge (1M high) main speakers that I had built myself.

I read all the reviews, and having been a NAD fan for many years, decided on the T770 with the T550 DVD player and AE fronts, rears and centre. When I got the gear home I took my time setting everything up, and then I powered the receiver up. From day one I was never truly happy with the performance, something was missing. For a start the lack of oomph was very apparent, even when compared to the low powered HK AVR35. The sound was slightly cleaner on stereo than the HK, but overall performance was very weak. My previous NAD a 3020i sounded wonderful with a lovely tight bass and smooth sound, but the T770 sounded thin and sloppy in all modes.

After a while I decided to invest in a subwoofer to try and solve the low-end issues, but even the REL 100E (100 watt, 12") did not solve the problem. I even went so far as to contact NAD, who told me to set the speakers to small. However anyone who owns this unit knows there is no such feature.

Whilst we are on features, there isn't any. The only surround options apart from Dolby Digital are Pro Logic and EARS. Dolby digital did improve the sound and came across much more powerful than the other options, but EARS just dropped the output. There is no universal remote, and the one that is supplied is a disgrace. Set-up options are minimal, and you can't adjust separate channels whilst listening to a source, which even the HK would do.

Listening to a CD in stereo is fatiguing, and in fact I stopped listening to my collection. The lack of power is a serious problem in all but Dolby digital mode.

Every time I hear someone else’s system I find something lacking with the NAD. When compared to the NAD 3020i in stereo, which I ran along side the T770, the 3020i wins hands down, and with just 30W/channel. We are not talking sheer volume here, but punch, and smooth delivery. This is not a NAD product as we know them.

In Closing, the NAD produces a very clinical musical presentation that is thin and lacking in drive. Build quality is good, although the volume control feels particularly flimsy, and sometimes moves by itself! I hate to say it, but NAD cannot be seen as a serious contender in the Home Theater sector. This unit is also seriously over priced.

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
After six months, I am ready to post my review! It may be moot as this is an old model -- but I wanted to chip in my own two cents as I have on all my equipment on this fantastic site.

This was NAD's first attempt to do home theater in a box. Glad I scooped it up. One thing NAD does well is amplify. The five channels in this thing are truly powerful. I used to own a C340 (their acclaimed integrated) and had a separate AC-3 processor, a separate AM/FM tuner, and a separate three channel amp for H/T use. Too many boxes!

Based on reviews here, I took the plunge. Bottom line, 5 X 70 Watts, in two channel stereo it is a marvel at 80Wpc. I couldn't notice a sonic difference at low levels between the C340 and this. I was worried about going from separates to this -- but I needn't have. And at high volumes, the music just washes over me.

I love this amp.

Purchased At:   YAWAonline.com

Submitted by Lee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this unit. I love the heavy weight and quality feel. I hear sound in music never heard before. It isn't bright or tiring on the ears. Will play British recordings better. An L.A. Counting Crows cd sounds horrible. Dire Straights sounds great. This is a sound that takes getting used to but improves with time. This is the best value out there since it is selling at closeout prices. I researched two months before purchase without ever hearing the unit. The soft clipping is great because I can max out my Kefs without worrying about blowing the speakers. The soft clipping feature will prevent you from getting max volume because it limits the volume control to prevent music peaks in Surround from damaging speakers.

Purchased At:   YAWA.com (they are great and cheap

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
A perfect buy (at $899.00) from United Online Shopping.

You will never put this sound together for less.

Purchased At:   United Online Shopping

NAD T770 Home Theater Receiver VOLUME

Just picked up a NAD T770 Receiver but the volume seems a little low. I turn the volume all the way up on the receiver and it is loud but not very loud. Should it be louder? [IMG]http://flemingtonelectronics.com/images/nad/T770tn.gif[/IMG] The reason Im saying this is because I think I owned a 760 ... Read More »

BLG CP024: