NAD T750 A/V Receivers

4.85/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

ANALOG Dolby Pro-Logic decoding - 3 x 50 Watts - 2 x 30 Watts for rear - 4 Audio inputs; 2 tape outputs - 4 Video inputs; VCR output - Stereo Mode: 60 watts/channel

Submitted by grtgrfx a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver to replace a Sony STR-DE615 receiver. Although the Sony had a stated 100wpc rating and many more surround modes, the NAD T750 is much quieter, more musical, and cleaner.

This receiver is very good for a mid-range home theater because it has enough clean power to drive rear and center surrounds but it really shines in audio reproduction. Playing a well-recorded CD like Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" or Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is like being transported into the recording studio. There's no noise floor, strings are crystal clear, drums reverberate, and the sound is so warm you almost think it's a tube amp. It's not harsh like typical Sony, Kenwood or Pioneer units. You can listen for hours without fatigue.

Playing DVDs is very good also. Try out "The Perfect Storm" or "Saving Private Ryan" to experience the surround capacity of this receiver. You're in the middle of the scene.

Some reviewers have complimented the T750's power rating by saying they noever play it past "12-o'clock" on the volume knob. How they get it that loud without being evicted is beyond me. 10:30 is as loud as I go for audio, maybe 11 or 12 for DVDs because they are recorded quieter. This amp really rocks with techno or electronica, but is totally lush playing jazz or classical too. But if you have a lame recording, it will be obvious, because rough spots aren't covered over.

The only drawbacks to this receiver are in the A/V section, where there are no S-VHS inputs, so you can't switch through HD-quality sources, and there's no-pre-amp stage, so you need an outboard box to play records (quaint). I bought a nice Parasound phono pre-amp for $100 so I could use my turntable. Otherwise, connect three VCRs, a DVD player, two tape decks and a CD player, and you're good to go.

You have the choice of configuring two sets of stereo speakers (A/B) or one surround set. Mine is set for surround.

When I get a new HDTV set with component connections (eventually), I will upgrade this receiver to a newer NAD with digital inputs, but until then, it doesn't leave my house. It gets five stars for value, 4 stars for connectivity in today's digital world.

I have the NAD T750 with:
NHT Super Ones and Super Center (fronts)
NHT Super Zeros (rear surrounds)
NHT SW2P 10" subwoofer with amp stack
Sony CDP-XE500 CD transport w/digital outs
Toshiba SD2200 DVD player
Parasound PPH100 phono pre-amp
Soundstream DAC-1 Digital-analog converter
Harmon Kardan T40 turntable with Grace F9 "ruby" cartridge
Sony and JVC VHS decks
Monster audio connectors, speaker cables and power strip

Purchased At:   Soundcity, N.J.

Submitted by Guloe a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
With a limited budget and an even more limited choice of products I found the T750. What a bargain.

Wanting a home theatre that could double as a audio system, I was very impressed with what the NAD could do. So much so that it's used has changed to listening CD daily and movies weakly.

I have a set of Mission 700 series speakers with the NAD and a Yamaha cd player.

The clarity of sound is phenominal even when turning up the volume(by remote). Never tuned up to more than 12:00

Submitted by John Brunsdon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Having run the aging NAD 3020 for the last 20 years, I wanted a similar amp with more inputs & 5.1 output. Found the T750 as a mail-order return at 1/3 list price. What a steal! Same understated but faultless performance as the 3020. The MUSIC comes through whereas with most amplifiers you are aware that you are listening to a hi-fi set up. Pity there's no digital-in & onboard decoder but that's probably what gives it the clarity.

I can't understand what the fuss is about the remote. It's that heavy that it is obviously well made & the sharp corners make it easy to locate when you sit on it in the dark.

Purchased At:   Hyperfi

Submitted by Brian Larman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
By far the best receiver in it's price range. This receiver was the first one I purchased, when I was 17, and I doubt I'll ever sell it. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is for S-Video In/Outs, and Digital processing. Right now, I'm using it with an NAD T550 DVD player, Linn Keosa fronts, Mordaunt-Short 905C centre, and an NAD 513 CD player.
Combined with the T550, this receiver is like magic. I can barely notice a difference when using the 5.1 inputs Vs. the onboard decoder in the T751.

In terms of power, I firmly believe there's enough here. I can literally shake the entire house without distortion at high volumes, and have never needed to raise the volume past 2/3. The tuner is excellent, and clearly receives signals even in it's basement location.

The only problem I've ever had is with the mechanical volume knob, but it was easily fixed with a little cleaning.

Purchased At:   Better Music

Submitted by WadeDwyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
An absolutely superb sounding stereo/theatre receiver. Pristine and detailed sound that isn't thinned out as I have noticed with most affordable recievers. No useless DSP modes, just good clean amplification.

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Excha

3 channel stereo with NAD T750?

I just picked up an NAD T750 surround receiver off eBay that supports the old Dolby Pro Logic. It's just a simple stereo settup, so I'm not worried about Dolby Digital. But I have a few questions: Will I be able to watch movies that are decoded in dolby digital, using this receiver? Also (my ... Read More »