NAD T742 A/V Receivers

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)

The NAD T742 Surround Receiver brings full NAD quality into the budget price range, offering all of the requirements for home theatre enjoyment, including adequate power, a wide range of inputs and features, and superb NAD sound.

Submitted by Bonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought this from authorized refurbished dealer for next to nothing. Living in an apartment and listening mostly music & watching occasional movie I knew NAD was the budget musical receive I needed.

In 2 channel the NAD drove power hungry Totem speakers surprisingly without any strain but did lack some musicality compared to a just pure 2 channel integrated. But this is an unfair comparison as my integrated costd 3x the price and that amp itself bested amps 1-2x it's price.

Home theater was also good, there isn't any useless sound effects to clutter amp. For the average movie watcher, the connections/inputs available are more than sufficient for the average person. Sound volume/effects is quite good but obviously power is not ground shaking compared to more powerful dedicated HT amps with better chips.

If you want the best of both worlds in music/HT this amp maybe the one for you. You don't have to take my word for it, the successor to this amp the NAD T743 (almost the same with a few more connections) is highly praised award winner from Soundstage. Build quality reliability not up there with Rotel, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, but musicality for the buck will perhaps make you forget about quality issues.

Having said all that, NAD still struggles with reliability problems. I knew I was rolling the dice when I bought a refurbished NAD cause sometimes the rear lright channel doesn't work until 10 mins into power on. I would have given a 5 star for value if it wasn't for this problem.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by jfiorini a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
My affinity has always been for components which are highly musical. I was looking for a system for my bedroom that I could enjoy wathing movies and lisgtening to music in 2 channels. There was a short list of components that I was interested but NAD managed to be the most musical. This system has proven very capable with its primary role of a 2-channel audio system.

The sound characteristics are very clean and easy to listen, even at high levels. I have this receiver paired with the NAD T513 DVD/CD player and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s. The sound is very well composed without being too bright in the highs and punchy in the bass.

The sound is very good, clean and relatively warm, but still not to the level a a dedicated NAD 2 channel receiver. The receiver really delivers a fully, warmer sound at higher levels, which is my usual preference.

Purchased At:   Tabanghi

Submitted by hyperair a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bought it for $750 australian dollar($1030 usd).
My first attemp to get something truely creditable in the market. Of coz this is not an hi end. But for a newbie like me. This is a good stuff. It has power, sounds clear but warm. I use to have a really cheap speakers that i bought in black market. It sounds terrible. Especially when i use with my Pioneer cheap receiver. But when i connect The nad receiver to it. It sounds much better. or way better i should say. Even though its still not good, mainly because of the speaker. I believe this is an amazing amp. Many of you may think the power is small coz only 50w but to
be honest, it's not. even if u use a less efficient speaker. BTW, you could use this as a pre-amp and add a power amp to power up and channel u like. Trust me it may not make u sweat, but it will certainly make u smile.

Purchased At:   2004

Submitted by Robert_Damli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have Dali speakers (6006, 1001, C1000) and I had an Denon AVR-1803 for a year when I decided to sell it and buy a NAD. My father bought my Denon AVR-1803, and I found a second hand NAD T742 at 2800 NOK. (Ca. 374 US Dollars). I wanted the NAD because it suits the Dali speakers better. Don´t be fooled by the rated 5X50W. NAD watt is not Pioneer or Sony watt rated ex. 5X140W at 1 KHz at 8 Ohm. Remember that NAD measure with alle channels simultaneous in 20 - 20 000 Hz at 8 Ohm. Also bear in mind that the power supply NAD has, is capable of much more than other recievers. F.ex: My Denon AVR-1803 was rated at 6X80W at 8 Ohm, and my NAD T742 beats that! I can hear the difference! A much warmer sound, not that bright (Denon and Dali does NOT match that good. They are both dark in sound). The NAD has plenty of power supplies even at high volumes! It also has sound clipping that can save your speakers when playing loud in a party. The NAD T742 is also good in music and stereo. In surround I can hear a big difference in the rear channels. The sound is more "around you" than with Denon. This reciever has no DSP modes other than NAD´s EARS and enchanced stereo(And of course DPLII modes, but who need DSP modes?) The only negativ thing I have found, is that the reciever is tricky to set up with delays. I was uses to Denon´s excellent meters and centimeters, but here I have to use milliseconds. Hint: Measure the distance from your sweet spot to one front speaker. Then measure the distance from one rear channel to your sweet spot. Then subtract. Ex. 3 meter to front right, 1.5 meter to surround right. Difference is 1.5 meter. 1 ms is 30 cm. So I have 5 ms in rear channels. (150 cm. Also use 1 ms if you center is in line of your front speakers because of the angle. Also, you can´t set subwoofer´s Hz. I actually don´t know why, but I have choosen 80 Hz on my sub for the 0.1 channel. Be sure to read the manual carefully for delay settings, this can do much with the surround sound when set up right. I don´t know why you can´t set delays for DTS!? I have to recommend this reciever for it´s good warm sound and power. If you have demanding speakers, you can always use the 5.1 preout. My Denon AVR 1803 hadn´t this, and pre out is always good in the future. Think of NAD power recivers with 2X150W on the front speakers! No more power needs! :)

Purchased At:   Originally Hi-Fi Klu

Submitted by maartencb a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is really terrible. I bought a NAD reciever (T742) and DVD player (T532) to replace my aging onkyo (15 years of service without a single problem). The DVD player broke down within one week of purchase. NAD told me they would fix it. That was almost two month ago, but they still have the damn thing. The good news is (as they said it); We have capacity problems; so you're not the only one waiting that long. Real reassuring thought. Certainly as my reciever has broken down ALSO (today,after two month of purchase). I don't know what to do. I can't send it to NAD, because they won't take care of it. (or they will, but that will taker far to long).

Look at the reviews of the NAD T741. Keep in mind that the T742 and T743 are basicly the same recievers plus some extra features. And if you still can: AVOID NAD FOR THE REST OF YOU'RE LIFE!! I'm amazed that a company like NAD can exist with a build quality and costumer support like the have. I read a review that advised people only to buy a NAD when the dealer is around te corner. Take my advice: Don't think of buying it at all!

Purchased At:   Netherlands

Nad T742, Marantz 4200, HK AVR5550, Denon 1804

Im looking at upgrading from my Denon AVR 1603 and these are the receivers i am looking at, they are arranged in the title in order of price if that helps at all, though that HK one is a refurbished one thats almost half price. Can anyone give me their opinions on these. ThankyouRead More »

MS 1400W: