Marantz SR8200 A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

120 W x 6 (192/24 bit Crystal DAC® for all 6 Channels) THX Select®, THX Surround EX®, Dolby Digital® Pro Logic II®, DTS ES®(Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1, Neo:6),SRS Circle Surround® 5.1 Multiroom Capable with full set of line outs for audio, composite video, allows for set-up of an additional system in another room and complete second-room Control with RC3200 Touchscreen Learning Remote

Submitted by mazspeed a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I looked at almost every receiver in the 2k and under group. I found this to be warm and detalied sounding. The remote is great, but does eat lots of power, and you have to change batteries every 2 months or so of useage. Sounds cleaner and better then the others in this price point, and quite a bit above this price point.

Purchased At:   Over the net

Submitted by bjm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I realize I am going against the grain of all of the other reviewers here, but to be blunt I really didn't care for this receiver at all in my set-up.

My original goal was to reduce the pile of amps and other separates (Mcintosh) in my living room and have a nice neat system with good sound. And, having had a good experience with a Marantz 2250 reciever in the 70's, I was inclined to buy another Marantz. I read lots of magazine and internet reviews all of which expressed glowing terms for the SR8200. I listened to it at a local dealer---which honestly had a very poor showroom set-up, However, liking what I saw, I bought it.---I really did want to like this reciever.
The difficulties for me were really pretty obvious:
First, the remote is not very intuitive to use. Secondly, the FM reception, in a very crowded market where I'm normally able to get lots of clean reception, was dismal. And third, and most importantly, the amplifiers were very powerful, but lacked finesse. They could drive my Linn 5140s and 5120 center channel to loud volumes, but they were lifeless. The sound came across as flat and one-dimensional.

All-in-all this may be an acceptable receiver when used with mass market speakers for a video set-up, but not worthwhile for music or with speakers that need some control.

I sold mine after a couple of months and went back to separates.

Submitted by keefy6 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this Reciever after about a half year of researching all or most of AV recievers. I narrowed my choices down to I belive the Denon 3800. My choice in buying this model had alot to do with the upgradeability along with the "sound" of a Marantz Amp. It is an incredible amp. Plenty of power to drive all main and surround speakers plus the sub if you don't want to go separate units. Music. Equally outstanding. I recently (two days ago) tried out the Multi-Room function for stereo music, and it actually sounded better than using the Stereo Direct for the Main speakers!! I really am glad that I bought this reciever and highly encourage all to consider if you are in the market.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Edward Kirchgessner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I first began shopping for receivers a little over a year ago, I was pretty sure I'd end up with a Denon or something from the Onkyo/Integra product family. Marantz wasn't even on my list until I picked out my speakers. The local B&W dealer happened to also be a distributer for Marantz products, and offered me a $300 discount off the unit's list price (considering I was already purchasing about $3000 worth of speakers from his store).

After debating between the SR7200 and the SR8200, I decided to go with the latter due to a better selection of inputs, sturdier build, and kick-ass remote control. I haven't regretted that decision for a moment.

This unit's audio performance is top notch. I've heard some reviewers describe the audio characteristics of Marantz products as "warm;" though I would only use the terms "transparent," "accurate," and "fantastic." Coupled with appropriate speakers, I don't think anyone could be disappointed with this solid receiver.

I've only had one problem since purchase (which did actually need to be serviced). After having the unit for about three months, a sporadic malfunction began to occur within the DSP which made it impossible for me to listen to material in straight stereo mode. Still, the service received was prompt (and totally covered by the manufacturer's warranty). I had my unit back in about ten days, and haven't had any problems since.

Just as another note, Marantz has recently introduced a hardware/firmware upgrade for this unit and the SR9200. I'l be sending in my unit in the next few month's (when I feel ready to part with it) so that I can benefit from DTS 96/24, SRS 6.1, and faster digital signal detection.

Purchased At:   Clark Music, Latham

Submitted by mlj4th a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
i luv this reciever.... it does almost everything.... though the component output does not pass 1080i hi def... that doesn't bother me because i plug directly into my hi def rear projection tv... remote is great and easy to use although it goes it burns batteries like a wild fire... i went from using separates to using this reciever... sounds like a step backwards doesn't it....NOT! i use the marantz to fire my center and rear speakers.... i still use my my rotel 5 channel amp to by amp my front NHT VT2's... i'm dissapointed the the marantz doesn't have bass management but so far it hasn't affected my sound quality.... my equipment is as followed.... Marantz sr8200, hughes High Definition satelite reviever, mitubishi ws55807 rear projection hi def ready tv, denon dvd2900 universal dvd player, xbox, phillips cd recorder, rotel rb985thx 5 channel amp, nht vt2 fronts, nht vs2 center, b&w surrounds, M&K mx350thx powered subwoofer,over 600dvd's, over 2500 cd's, 1 dvd audio, and 1 sacd....

Purchased At:   alma's hifi