Marantz SR7200 A/V Receivers

3.91/5 (137 Reviews)

According traditional trademarks of Marantz, the SR7200 is a non-compromise digital surround receiver, built to excel in Movie and Music reproduction, functionality and ergonomics. It supports Dolby Digital ® 6.1- channel decoding, Dolby Pro Logic ® II, Circle Surround 5.1 and Dolby Digital ® 6.1 compatibility for an impressive, enveloping 360-degree surround sound. The SR7200 features a discrete, equal power amplifier section for all 6 channels, with superb low impedance driving capability and comprehensive dynamic reserve. A multi-zone function allows you to simultaneously enjoy a different entertainment source in another room. Complemented with a programmable, learning remote the SR7200 is the ideal choice in every home entertainment system or custom installation. FEATURES: inputs for up to 9 sources, including DVD player and LD player on screen display (OSD) dolby prologic surround I/II, dolby digital 6.1, DTS-ES decoding multi-room capability extends to second video output informative on-screenmenus apply to single and multi-room set-ups choice of optical and coaxial digital inputs for best cable connection and set-up 30 presets on all three wavebands, for instant recall of favourite stations remote handset controls entire AV system,with ability to learn new commands as system grows

Submitted by larry richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
I need help. My problem is this amp is so weird, I can select tuner and the music will not play sometimes for 10-15 minutes and then start. I recently tried to hook up a CD player and it wont play at all. CD player is good. I bought this at an estate sale so I don't have manual, can anyone help? The cassette tape deck works fine every time.

Submitted by Beardg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
Not sure of the year,
I bought this unit off of Craigs list for...can you believe it..150$ with a perfect pair of Mirage tower speakers with all boxes,packing and remotes in mint shape.I was ecstatic!.
The unit is a little bit quirky.It likes to be controlled with the remote,and when controlled this way all is fine.If you choose to use the input buttons on the unit rather than the remote however,sometimes it is as if the machine must "think" what to do and how to do it.It can take two or more button pushes to achieve an input change.I have heard a very slight static click sometimes when changing channels on my TIVO Direct TV .Slight,not always,not a problem.No pops in the sub woofer and nothing of any real consequence.
The sound that this unit puts out through my Klipsch KG4 fronts and Polk CS400i center is OUTSTANDING!
My previous unit was an Onkyo TSX-595S unit, which is no slouch,but the Marantz Kicks it's butt!
Sound is bright and clean,gets very loud and is just fantastic.I run a separate set up for music(analoque) but on the rare occassion that I put the Marantz to use with music it has sounded great also.I have given thought to selling off the old stuff,but I'm too attached to my huge rack of goodies.But for most people you could easily live with this unit for both HT and music...though it does not have a phono input....deal breaker for me.
Remote is a bit strange also,but I am an experienced hand so all is well.Set up was about on par with most electronics of it's type,maybe a little bit tougher.I am not a big fan of OSD,I prefer to see things on the amps screen,but this is a minor annoyance after set up is completed.The second room amp is great for the kids on the PS2,while the adults watch TV/movies/sports and consume adult beverages....
This is my first experience with Marantz other than vintage 70s amps.And I must say I am impressed with it's quality and over all tremendous sound.
Lots of inputs.Remote should light up.....hard to see in the dark.
I am in HT heaven.The Klipsch KG4s are outstanding HT speakers with this amp.So crisp and clear...and LOUD!
If you can scoop one of these babies cheap(and they seem to sell fairly cheap on ebay) I would highly advise you do.I cannot imagine any other amp having much better sound at any price until you get into the multiple thousands when shear volume would rule the day.

Submitted by Alex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Other discussions noting build dates and model numbers here are correct. I ordered mine from hifi.com and received a unit Marantz USA identified as a factory refurb. You can spot this by a small colored dot on the outside of the box next to the serial number, purple in this case. I did not know this until hifi.com refused to accept a return (over 30 days) and I contacted Marantz USA. When I told hifi.com they said that they had no idea and accepted my return. Their VP of product purchasing contacted me and discussed the situation. The product was pulled immediately.

Purchased At:   hifi.com

Submitted by Archenemy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have really, really tried to like this receiver. I had previously loaned a 5300 and really liked it. The stock on this 7200 receiver were running out and they were going cheap. I liked the idea of a learning remote so decided to settle for this. I wish I hadn't.

I have a pair of 602.5's and the sound they pump through them is, quite frankly, poor. For a $AU2000 receiver I am very dissapointed. My $400 Pioneer had a better stereo image. The onboard DAC is even worse - tending towards the shrill. If you have mellow speakers like Wharfdale 8's it would sound good,but that's about it. I didn't have any popping problems like others in this group, but if you have the chance - get the 5300 instead. The literature boasts a "cutting edge" DAC - maybe they should have used one that sounded good, instead of just being brand new.
I realise I'm being picky, but that's my prerogative - I bought the dang thing!

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I first purchased the SR 5200 from West End Electronics in NFLD, Canada. Having purchased in the past, a mid priced Pioneer ($799 CDN) and med priced Kenwood Receiver ($599 CDN), I wanted my next receiver to be more high end. I have always heard rave reviews for Marantz equipment, and had a dealer near by. I picked the SR5200 ($800 CDN) for it seemed to have the best bang for the buck. Had noticably better sound quality, especially at louder levels, than I was previously use to. It worked flawlessly for several months until it started to automatically shut itself off. This problem appeared to go away over time, however, use to rear its ugly head every month or so. I finally got pissed off enough to return the unit. The guys at West End Electronics took it back, and Marantz had a new one on its way. While I waited they were nice enough to loan me an SR 6200. I must say the difference in these two receivers was huge. Both sound quality and features. The extra wattage was definately worth the extra money. When the the replacement SR5200 came in I decided that I would like to have at least the SR6200 ($1000 CDN) instead of the 5200. The guys at West End again rose to the occassion, allowing me to trade in my 5200 replacement from Marantz, giving me all my money back after 10 months of use, very impressive. I put this toward the new SR7300 ($1300 CDN). Again the step up was noticable, but not to the degree the SR6200 was over the SR5200. One of the nicest features of the 7300 is the Circle Surround 6.1, and the auto source detection. Before I had to change the input selection from digital to analog when wanting to view analog TV stations v. Digital ones (for both the SR5200 & SR6200). What an annoyance having to do this every time you change between certain channels! This receiver will always auto detect the best signal to use for both video and audio for each of its inputs.

The OSD is very detailed, offering many more options than the SR5200 & SR6200, and is also controllable/viewable from the units front display, however, you must be very familiar with it before using it in this way (But you will be in no time, trust me). Subs work in Source direct, has all the SS modes you would want incl. the new DTS ES 96/24, and has more power than you will likely use. I like my music and movies very loud, but have yet to have to turn it on full volume to satisfy my need, or while showing it off to friends for that matter. I also must mention the fact it is upgradable from a computer port on the back. This feature was the final bonus feature that pushed me toward the SR7300 over the SR6200. The receiver is quoted as future proof.

I have only two gripes. First, the remote has a small LCD display that does not light up. The lack of lighting has forced me on several occasions to have to get up and turn on the light to effectively use the remote, and second, the OSD does not work when using component video out.

Overall, the most features and best performing unit available at this price point. My experience shows that a dealer can make all the difference, actually turning a bad experience, into a great one for me. Thanks again Wade.

System:
Paradigm CC270 Center channel
Paradigm CC100 Rear Center channel
2 Quest 8" Subs
Sony 5 disk DVD
Electrohome DVD player (for SVCD's)
Mitsubishi HiFi VHS
Motorola Digital Cable Box
Motorola HDTV Decoder

Purchased At:   West End Electronics

Need Marantz SR7200 Remote Model #

I'm thinking about buying a used Marantz SR7200 at a local pawn shop, but they don't have the remote; I haven't been able to find a replacement remote anywhere! Anyone with the SR7200, please give me the model number for the remote, and what you think of the receiver. THANKS!Read More »

BLG CP024: