Marantz SR4600 7.1 Channels Receiver A/V Receivers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The most affordable of Marantz?s audio/video receivers, the SR4600 would earn a welcome place near the top of most of our competitors? offerings. Indeed, the SR4600 is far more than you might expect!

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
I love this receiver, especially in stereo. Got it as a floor model along with a Marantz 5 disc CD player, Energy Connoisseur CS3s (4), a Connoisseur C series center channel, and a Paradigm PDR10 sub....all display/floor models for a steal in 2005ish. They remain my set up in 2016. Great for music in stereo and great for movies....tho I think better for music. Plenty of punch and clarity for my tastes and wonderful budget receiver.

Submitted by Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is one rare beast. Dead cheap and amazingly versatile as in: "One of a kind".

Bought this cute baby two years ago (Now is: March 1. 2016) for the immense sum of $ 65.00, purely of the rarely found combination of:

7x ordinary 2.0 Stereo analog inputs
2x optical digital inputs
2x coaxial digital inputs
1x 7.1CH analog input

1x 7.1CH analog output
1x optical digital output
1x coaxial digital output
1x 7.0CH speaker output

(...and a truckload of Composite/S-video/Component inputs and outputs)

...all of which can be combined in complete freedom to whatever configuration of components and passive/active speakers you might have.

If you need to combine passive and active speakers, that can be done.
If you choose to have all active speakers in the living room and passive speakers in another room, that can be done.
You can even combine it with several DAC's in different rooms and hook it up to the digital outputs. Well....you can connect it the other way around by hooking several DAC to the digital inputs.

In other words, tell me where to find such a versatile amplifier. I bet you won't find any. Not on this planet anyway.

Throughout the years, I have hooked the Marantz SR4600 to this stereo speaker setup:

DUX Sound Project 451, from 1969. No more, no less :o)
KEF PSW-2000 active subwoofer.

With these good speakers, I don't need any Surround Sound setup.

Sound quality from Marantz SR4600: With normal listening levels, I can't put my finger on anything. Sound is clean, open and uncoloured.

The WAF is also at toplevel.
Marantz SR4600 is luckily not the largest beast in town. On the contrary, thankfully.
17 5/16" (43.9 cm) Width
6 7/16" (16.3 cm) Height
15 3/8" (39.0 cm) Depth

All in all a very satisfactory experience. I have giving Marantz SR4600 top rating, because in all honesty, it deserves it well.

Thank you.

Submitted by kevin combs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I find it funny to even attempt to put this receiver down. However we do have some folks doing just that... the sr4600 literally is the Rolls Royce of receivers at a Cadillac price. It fills the room with such rich vibrant sound. Regardless of the mode it is in... I have the follwing hooked up to the Marantz sr4600. speakers: $ Bose 301's and for the center channel speaker Jbl it sounds great as well. then for the bottom lows I just acquired an Acoustic research subwoofer and believe me I am a musician and I am completely blown away by the sounds of clarity the resonate out of my system. Bose are often put down as well but I have 2 older ones and 2 newer ones for my surround speakers and the old ones which were made in 1977 are still crysal clear. I have a total of 3 thousand dollars including my Sharpe blu ray and feel like I am blessed to have this incredibly sounding system. all musicians especially ones like me who have recorded albums and etc. want a great sound system. I also have the Marantz hooked up to my Samsung LCD 46 inch TV. movies and almost anything including drum videos, live concert footage of the legendary bands of yesterday sound absolutely great as well... so for anyone thinking of the ultimate receiver save your money and realize there are no better receivers made than the Marantz.

Submitted by Rhedey Miklos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
If you love the warm and detailed sound, don`t hesitate. Is a good product for the price paid, but the poor dinamics and modest power make it not so attractive like NAD or Cambridge Audio.

Purchased At:   2006