Marantz SR4021 A/V Receivers

The ideal answer for those who want Marantz-quality sound reproduction of audio and video sources. Complete with A/V switching and multiple video outputs, the SR4021 functions as the heart of a “home theater 2.0” system, a secondary zone, or a main music system.

Submitted by DaviHixs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit new (Oct.2007) after getting frustrated with my old cobbled-together stereo that I'd had for years. First the Onkyo TR-822 receiver started to lose the right channel, then my Pioneer CS-77's started to go. After talking to a repairman who specializes in older equipment, I went and bought new from a veteran high-end stereo shop. I didn't mention brand, just that I wanted a 2 channel receiver as per the repairman. The owner of the shop showed me the Marantz SR4021, a Denon unit, and Rotel. The Marantz had a better warranty than the others, 3 years vs 2 years. It had phono jacks and had the 50 to 75 watts per channel I had asked for. 80 actually. Though this is entry-level equipment at this store, I have been extremely pleased so far. I'm driving a pair of vintage Polk Audio Monitor 10's with it and the sound is glorious. The clarity and definition in the high range is uncanny. Female vocalists shine especially bright. Loreena McKennit and Allison Krause are right in the living room with you. You can often hear the articulation of the words when they sing. Nice full mid-range that has real warmth but is not muddy at all. Bass is very clean and melodic. I listen to all types of music and the SR4021 coupled with the Marantz CC4001 CD changer sounds great with classical, bluegrass, jazz, rock and roll, you name it. In all genres I hear parts of the music that I don't hear from lesser combinations, I know it's a cliche but I 've re-discovered my music collection. In fact I gave my tape player and my turntable away because the CD's sound so much better now. Amazing. Brute force is not my cup of tea so this might not suite your needs or tastes if you want ear shattering volumes but it really delivers the goods if you want transparency and all-around competence in a well priced unit.

Purchased At:   Bradford's Hi-Fideli