Marantz SR-96 A/V Receivers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

110W x 3, 90W x 2 rear, THX

Submitted by -cc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use this with my sources feeding into the 6 channel direct. Used this way, the sound is excellent, the famous Marantz detailed, warm, "laid back" sound. Superb for critical listening to music and movies. However I found that sources fed through the normal inputs were not nearly as good, it is lacking in delicacy. FM sound is quite good.

The receiver has lots of power and runs cool.

I'm very please with it the way I use it.

Submitted by alarm2018 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Since I've purchased this receiver, I've realised how much stereo I can dig out of my current system. The THX proved its quality and 6-channel input made this receiver future-proof. The only thing that I prefer my old receiver than this one is the lack of passive subwoofer output, since it's very important due to system power calibration. But since nowadays every AV receiver does not include passive subwoofer amplification, this is still a competitive power source provided with a good digital decoder. When paired with my B&W DM110 I found out the bass was not great, but since the new Wharfedale arrived the bass restored and the soundfield focused further.

Also the item was bought second hand, so it was a real bargin. During demo the demonstrator wrongly short-circuited the 2 speaker terminals, and the safety system on the receiver activated and the power halted.

Afterall the performance is first rate and it does go very loud. Grab one if you have a DVD player with Dolby Digital and DTS internal decoding, cos why waste the equipment if you got them?

Purchased At:   HK

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for something that does a good job with two channel music and can handle pro logic and dolby digital well, this may be the one. I've got the SR-96 hooked up with a DVD with a built in DD decoder (Toshiba 3109). There are no digital inputs/outputs, but the sound is great for both movies and music (I use it for about 80% music/20% movies or TV). You can find refurbished and demo units in catalogs or used in classifieds or at on-line auctions. For under $400 you can get a unit that was near the top of the Marantz line a few years back.

System:
Sub: Def Tech Prosub 200

Purchased At:   audioadvisor

Submitted by TAN DAneil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
Recently i bought two pairs of ALR Jordan Entry 2M.After i hook up everything, i put in ID4 Ld in my marantz LD player.
OOh man the sound effect was so good that even my neighbour who come to ask me to lower the volume, stayed and watch the whole show!!

Submitted by Ken Duoba a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had a SR-96 on loan from my local dealer for a month as I awaited the arrival of the MA-700 monoblocks I had on order. During that time, I was also able to try out a number of other receivers, including the SR-880 and Yamaha's 2095. (The MA-700s were proving hard to find, so I started wondering if I might have to abandon that idea and get a better receiver instead.) In the end, I decided to wait, as the MA-700s are rather good. However, of the receivers I listened to, the SR-96 tempted me the most.
The SR-96 is at its best in stereo. It is a very musical receiver, with a smooth and bright sound (which is quite similar to many of Marantz's integrated amps). Unlike many similarly priced receivers, this brightness is not harsh--rather, it sounds open and detailed. Inevitably, at higher volumes, the treble hardens and loses some of its smoothness--which makes careful partnering important. I have mostly Mission 700 Series speakers in my HT setup (704s, 70c2 and 70as), and these can get a little harsh in the treble at high volumes, and so must take part of the blame. However, using the MA-700s to do the grunt work there is less noticeable hardening, so it is not just the speakers. Bass is fairly punchy and controlled, though not as prominent as with, say, the 2095 (with full-range speakers, this is a good thing!) There is also plenty of power, especially in stereo.

For home theatre, I preferred the Yamaha, especially for action movies. It brings out more detail, especially through the surround channels, and its overall sound is better suited to HT (the Marantz is a bit too smooth here, which makes some scenes sound artificial). However, soundtracks sound better on the Marantz. I don't find any of the DSP modes on either receiver particularly useful, except the THX mode on the SR-96 and the Enhanced Pro-Logic/DD/DTS modes on the Yamaha--these are quite good. Neither has THX Re-Eq for DD sources (unless you use an external processor with the SR-96 that has this feature).

The SR-96 has a fairly good set of features for a Pro-Logic only receiver, with a six-channel input, plenty of audio and AV inputs (with S-video) and pre-out/main-in couplers for all channels (the six-channel input and main-ins are separate). This last feature is something I particularly like--it means that no matter what you do in terms of external processing, you can still use the amplifiers in the SR-96 any way you choose. The display is bright and clear, with large lettering. Even with bright sunlight in the room, it is still easy to read (whereas that on the Yamaha becomes almost impossible--something that annoys me immensely). The OSD is also quite simple and intuitive to use.

As a mixed audio/HT receiver, I think this is one of the best. It's not a particularly cheap way of getting a DD system, but its performance in stereo is a cut above many similar products. I would certainly take this over the newer SR-880 (which I thought was a bit too bright). However, it is worth having a serious look at some of the newer Denon models, such as the AVR-3300 and the AVR-3800. For HT alone, there are other receivers I would choose over this one (in particular the Yamaha 2095).

Wood Technology: