Marantz SR-880 A/V Receivers

4.25/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by TYravis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Bottom Line:
Got this for under 150 used and it is a great product for that money way better then any thing that would go for anything under 500.00 new price today.

Does everything well with plenty of power was a bit bright sounding at first but after a while it smoothed out and sounds good I would recommend it to anyone who wants to build a good system for a low price.

Submitted by muska a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just bought it last week and initial tests revealed great tuner section. Powerful pulling power and very clean reception without hisses and buzzes which are quite common in my area as with my Sony STR V55ES and I paid USD 884 for that one.

Surpringly, music sounds better with my old very basic Philips DVD player with MIT av cable than through analogue interconnects with my old very basic Pioneer CD player. Probably because the cables used for the CD are not of high quality.

Partially tested Dolby Digital but only in 2.0 Surround. Not bad but lacks the finesse of the Sony ( but then, the technology is 3 years ahead although when first launched, the SR880 was much more expensive comparatively). Can't wait to go full 5.1 when I get my hands on centre and rear speakers at the AV show this weekend. Currently using MB Quart 20LC as fronts and PSB Alpha 5 subwoofers.The SR880 was bought as ancillary HT set-up and is only meant for the bedroom.Main use is for the radio and for that it deserves top marks.

Will write second part of review after testing full 5.1 sound.

Purchased At:   CMY

Submitted by john a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a steal of a unit works well for 2 channel and has all the inputs you need for HT.
Find one used its a great value.

Submitted by JAMIE VALONE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
LOOKING AT BUYING A MARANTZ SR-882. CAN'T FIND ANYTHING ON IT AT ALL. PLEASE HELP.

Submitted by Jon Kiefer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I just ran across my reveiw (previous post) for the Marantz sr 880 given about a week ago and realized that I had 'Audiophile' marked in my reveiw. I am simply an enthusiast. Though I believe I have a very sensitive ear I by no means claim to have the years of comparing high end Audio equiptment, much less get paid for my personal views!
Anyways I felt like correcting that paticular part of my post.
In my opinion way to many people claim to be quite a bit more than they are when it comes to audio listening and reviewing, which is quickly obvious in their posts.
Anyways I'm in the process of finding the best interconncts and speaker cable for my system. So far Tara labs RSC cables are looking and most importantly sounding the best. the reference generation 11 seems best for my system for what I can afford (lessens the grainy sound a bit and smooths the highs out)

Atlantic Technology :