Marantz SR-880 MK II A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $1499.00

Dolby Digital and DTS processing - 110 watts per channel to each of the 3 front speakers, with 60 watts per channel to the surround speakers - 3 digital inputs - 5 video inputs and 4 audio inputs, including composite and S-video switching

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Marantz SR-880 MK II + Boston Acoustic sytem 9000
When can you tell that your home theater system sound really
best ???
My idea of perfection is when you can hear sound exactly as
is appear in natural life for example when you drive a car that has all windows closed and having some conversation with, say two other passengers that riding with you and you
Suddenly open a one window, you will hear first voices coming from different sides of the car interior and then sudden noise from outside.
This is only one example that I experienced on my MARANTZ I tested out many receivers and none absolutely
none sound the way I described above.
People may think I'm some kind of "hometheater maniac" but
I'll say when you buy something - buy something GOOD !!!
I recommend this equipment to every one that appreciate HIGH
STANDARTS AND QUALITY !!!

Purchased At:   Harvey Electronics

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a great receiver. It sounds just slight worse then my Hafler preamp. I still run it through a Hafler XL280 amp for the front mains. It was easy to set up and of course the RC2000mkII is great.

I had a Sony DB930 for two weeks before getting the Marantz. I'm glad I got the Sony locally so I could return it. It buzzed, the CD input didn't work and the remote was from hell.

I got the Marantz from Harvey online for under $700. Setup was easy, I had the whole thing done in a fews easy hours. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some other receiver, but who actully uses things like the Stadium setup on the Sony?

If want a mid price unit, this is a great receiver to look at.

Submitted by Michael Gutierrez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Marantz was a truly great receiver, up there with the high-performance budget receivers. The back of the receiver was clearly labeled, but the only problem I had with it was hooking up the speaker wire. The binding posts were a little hard on my fingers, and a little close together. Overall, the Marantz is a good receiver that is well worth it.

Submitted by Darron Spohn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I finally gave up on affordable high-end surround sound and decided to run seperate sytems for movies and stereo. I bought the Marantz on the advice of an audio salesman I trust. Much to my surprise when I connected this into my existing speaker system the Marantz not only delivered the goods on movies, but also doesn a very credible job on stereo sources too. It isn't as good as the Adcom GFP 555 and GFA 5500 it replaced, but that would be asking too much anyway. Now I have a killer surround sound system and a killer stereo in my home office. The Marantz even drives the 4-ohm Magneplanar MMGs with no problem.

Associated home theater equipment:

Marantz CD 63
Snell Type M speakers

Submitted by BobM a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I listened to the Nakamichi AV-10, Rotel 965, several Denons, and the Marantz 880Mk II before deciding on the Marantz. The reasons I went with the Marantz included the overall build quality, the DTS capability, the "clean" sound free of background hiss, the easy to navigate OSD, the great remote, and a price that was very close to the less expensive units I demoed. The dealership I bought the unit from(Definiive Audio) is also first class and stands behing the products they sell; I have been a customer of theirs since 1987.
My home theater setup consists of Paradigm Monitor 5's up front, Paradigm CC350 center, Paradigm Titans for the rears, Tributary cables, and Pioneer DVD 414. This is a clean sounding, versatile system that is great for a mid level system for HT and audio.

FGH 26: