Marantz SR-870 A/V Receivers

3.8/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

480 watts, 5 channels, Dolby Pro logic

Submitted by ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Bottom Line:
Marantz sr 870,what a deal it is,this unit beat the hell out of the vector research vr 7000/Marantz sr5000,not to consider other many different units i had for 30 years,this thing is a monster in stereo mode,i haven't try 5.1 yet,but with audiophile's system i'd hear before,this unit isn't any less if anything it's more,the low draggs out and very smooth,the high is crispy,don't hear any distortion,unbelievable

Submitted by Big Daddy D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I purchased the Marantz 870 I was really interested in the Home theater aspects. It rocked the house and with the multi room funtion we crank up the niles speakers outside. The Marantz is a little flat in the music end and I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V3200 with a little more power 120 per channel and better rangel of listening modes. The Yamaha sounds so much better, but I miss the RC-2000 remote.

Purchased At:   Advanced Audio

Submitted by valiant1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've recently retired this receiver after over 4 years of faithful service. I've been extremely happy with this unit. It's performed flawlessly and the quality of this particular line of Marantz receivers is quite high. Manufactured in Japan, this receiver is a beast, built like a tank with huge internal components and more than enough power for anything I threw at it. I found the sound warm and inviting and the onscreen screens easy and useful. I also especially liked the ability to provide two video signals from each hookup, for example, I could hook up svhs and composite video outs to different components at the same time. The new Marantz midrange line (5200 - 7200) will not do this which I found a bit disappointing since not all my vcrs are svhs. The remote is the original RC2000 which is one of the best remotes built in the last several years. Buttons beat touch screens anyday!

Overall, a great value and excellent performance from a quality name that stands above most competitors. Let's hope the Denon merger doesn't screw things up!

Purchased At:   Local Marantz Dealer

Submitted by Bruce McArthur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this reciever to upgrade my rather old pro logic sony and have used it as a base to start an upgrade of my home theatre:

Toshiba DVD SDK-320
Polk Audoi RT8's + Polk C220 centre
Cannon Dome speakers for the rears (yeah - who's heard of these ?)
Marantz CC-3000 CD
LFD Spiro III interconnect
QED Qudos cables

I really have no complaints and compared to my mates $5000 Naim system I VERY happy with the sound I have achieved for the dollars spent. The Polks are a little too rich in the Bass but it seems clean enough. Have difficulty relating to the 2 very poor reviews posted for this reciever - and can only assume that is is being compared to something vastly out of it's range, which is not really that fair. Lets compare apples with apples and not a VW Beetle to an Audi TT.

Purchased At:   The Top HiFi Shop - NZ

Submitted by Jerry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an audio/HT compromise and have been extremely satisfied.

For music, I would recommend using the 6-Channel direct mode which by-passes the tone controls. The sound is much cleaner.

For HT, it is DD ready and has excellent sound and features in Pro-Logic.

If you're DVD player has a built in decoder or you have an outboard decoder, and you want a step up from Yamaha and other mass market junk, check it out.