Marantz SR-5000 A/V Receivers

4.38/5 (93 Reviews) MSRP : $649.00

Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound decoding, plus Dolby Pro Logic decoding. 70 watts x 5 channels. S-video switching, front-panel A/V inputs and optical and coaxial digital inputs.

Submitted by M.Beier a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
Not a review yet... I want to make one, once I am ready - for now I badly need help...
I bought this product, the stereo is just fine, sounds really good

Im running it with
Dali 107, front
Dali 1001, rear
Dali SC-7, center

However I am having a nightmare to get surround sound, I dont want Pro logic or other crap, I simply want DIRECT input from my optical cable, and use "A/52 over S/PDIF" in VLC, but this receiver seems not agreeing with me that its a great idea....
Please, can someone help me out? A surround receiver that wont work for surround is quite useless.....?

Submitted by Rob Watson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
Quite possibly the worst receiver I've ever owned. It has been nothing but problems with the auto-protect mode. Numerous attempts at repairs have ultimately failed. I should have bought a Carver; formerly known as Phase Linear. Like so many old established brands, Marantz is just a label now. Stick with Yamaha and Pioneer and are you're probably better off in this market segment. For high end, nothing beats a MacIntosh... except a Carver, perhaps. My old standby was a Garrard Zero 100, JBL L100s, Sansui 5000X, and a Nackamichi 1000, I wish I had them now!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by This Guy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love my SR-5200. I was actually looking at receivers almost twice this much, but got this because of all the reccomendations and price. This kicks the shlt out of my old JVC RX-6018 receiver. The first thing I noticed about this receiver was how warm the midrange was and how well rounded off the highs were. The bass is also much tighter than before. I was a little worried about the crossover frequency for the sub was fixed at 100 hz, well 100 hz is perfect for my sub. Just try an acoustic guitar song (Bang Bang by Dispatch), this put a huge smile on my face. The drums were so punchy, I thought the drummer was sitting right there. My old receiver only had Pro Logic. I didn't think I was missing much without having Pro-Logic 2, but damn, I love it. It adds a very nice ambient sound in the background in music. You don't hear the vocals as much as the beat or the instruments. Therefore it makes a great sound stage. I mean I could point to where the guitarist was playing and where the singer was singing. The two channel mode impressed me just as much. Again it has such a warm sound. The imageing and soundstage is great as well. The two channel mode naturally is more powerful because it only has two channels running at the same time. This also goes louder than the JVC, where the JVC was straining the Marantz was driving them very cleanly and easily. This also proves that you really shouldn't look at the power of receivers because the JVC was rated at 100 watts a channel and the Marantz was at 85 watts. The JVC clipped much earlier.
This Marantz doesn't have DTS ES or DDEX. Oh well I don't think I'm missing out that much. Plus it has 6.1 matrix modes for DD and DTS. So it's all good. Plus it doesn't have DTS Neo-6 or Circle surround. That was a bummer cause I heard good things about Circle surround. But the sound quality of this amp makes up for it. I love the sound and it makes my day after a hard day of school. I mean I thought I was listening to different speakers, I thought there were new tweeters in them. They sounded kinda harsh before. Now I just gotta upgrade this woofers in these, Jensens. They really don't sound bad for $100 a pair after you put new tweeters in them ( I put in a Pyramid bullet tweeter-excellent product). Hey when your a broke teenager with no job you gotta resort to the cheap stuff. This is all I need until I get to college.

Purchased At:   accessories4less.com

Submitted by johnny26 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the 5300.
Well it's been 5 months since I have purchased this machine, and I can tell you I am something of impressed.
Using Paradigm Monitor 3 for mains, Polk CS 400i as center, and Polk r15s for surrounds, the Marantz has delivered.
I had auditioned Kenwood,Yamaha, Harman/Kardon, Panasonic and others. I liked all of them a lot, but I finally settled on Marantz.
The Kenwood 6050 was pretty impressive compared to last years Kenwoods, but it wasn't long before I decided that I wanted to try Yamaha, which, in this price range, are far more popular and higher quality, and my reasons for purchasing a new receiver had changed. So I checked out the Yamaha htr 5560. Awesome amp, tons of cool dsp modes, multi-channel stereo, component video switching, and a-b speaker switching.Its major problems in my book were its switching off into protection mode after a sudden loud sound in a movie, and its stereo mode wasn't too impressive.
Harmon Kardon avr 125 was plenty powerful enough, easily driving even my 200 watt tower speakers at full volume, when I was watching Jurassic Park 3, and never shutting off into protection mode. It looks great. But it runs a little hot, and it didn't have Dts ES or DD Ex,or component video switching, and was thus too expensive for its features. The remote was not too intelligently made either.
My old receiver was a problem-prone Harmon Kardon avr 500 that had a left surround channel that was faulty,and would make a "popping" noise during various movies.I had sent it in for repair and had it returned with the problems still there.That being said, it was a tank in terms of power output, and emitted prodigious amounts of heat.Movies like Resident Evil never sounded so good to me through the amp, with its 45 amps of high-current muscle and 70 cont. av true watts. However, I wanted something a little more reliable.
I also tried out the Panasonic sahe70 just for fun. For its price though, it was pretty impressive, especially compared to Sony's entry-level stuff.It has nice clean bright sound, and quite the power for driving floor-standing speakers.However,it is leagues below H/K Yamaha, Marantz and other high-current receivers.
I liked all the receivers for various reasons, but since I have tried the Marantz, I haven't looked back.It was less expensive than the Harmon Kardon avr 125, but it had DTS ES and DD ex. It sounds better, I think, especially in terms of channel separation. The H/K avr-125 had more presence in the surrounds, which I liked, but the Marantz had better bass response in most surround modes. Circle Surround 2 is awesome with its "trubass" settings, and makes my Paradigm Monitor 3 sound like they are subwoofers. In this mode, the Marantz sounds bassier than my H/K avr 500 ever was.
Marantz amps always seem to have emphasis on the mid-range , and this receiver is no exception. It has plenty of power too( rated at 90 continuous watts in front left, right, and center from 20-20000 hz) and is high-current (maybe 20 to 30 amps). I don't know what its peak power is, but obviously over 100 watts per channel, but definitely not as powerful as my h/K avr 500.
The remote is garbage. It is sluggish in operation and shabby in construction. Even H/K and Yamaha have better remotes than this. It upset me to such an extent when I first tried to use it with its tiny little buttons, that I almost threw it into the trash in a temper tantrum. Looks and feels like it will break if u drop it onto the floor from 2 feet up. I also don't like it because it won't work on my JVC vcr, or my Toshiba dvd player.

Purchased At:   A@B Sound

Submitted by clancol a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love my Sr5300 it has more than enough power to drive my Mordaunt short's 908's 903's and 905. i was plesantly surprised with the performance in stereo and the multi ch blew me away. I work in a hifi home cinema store and the is deffinatly the best 6ch reciver for under £500. i would even say for the average listener it's prob as good as the sony 555 the arcam 200 and the jvc thx and the denon3802. i have listened to them all and i can't say ai notice the differece apart from the price.

Purchased At:   Richer Sound's