Marantz SR-4200 A/V Receivers

4.67/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

A/V Receiver

Submitted by jareif a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Klipsch Quintet III satelite surround speakers, along with the 10" Synergy subwoofer. I was working with a tight budget, but wanted the best sound fidelity I could manage; hence my choice to look around on eBay for a good deal. I researched receivers for several weeks through this site and several others. I eventually came to the conclusion that a Harman-Kardon, Denon, or Marantz would be the best match to my Klipsch speakers.
I originally set my sights on the Denon 3800 series receivers, but I couldn't get one for as little money as I had available to spend. That's when I discovered the incredible value to be had in a Marantz! After reading all the other great reviews about this receiver, I knew the price I was getting it for on eBay was a steal, so I bought it. I couldn't be happier with my choice!
The SR-4200 is at the bottom of Marantz's great line-up, but that doesn't take away at all from the great Marantz sound. It's very warm, rich, and balanced. The main reasons this receiver is considered Marantz's entry level unit are fewer features than more expensive models and less power per channel than their other models. In reality, however, it has plenty of controls and DSP settings. It has Dolby Digital PL II and DTS decoders, as well as an awesome 5 channel stereo setting. Also, it's modestly rated 70W per channel are more than sufficient! The high-current transformer in this unit drives even large speakers with no problem. Needless to say, its warm tones and clean power are a perfect match to my Klipsch speakers.
Also, this receiver is very controlled in the low end. It runs my 420 watt sub very well and delivers a great punch. The bass is clean and tight, which sounds great, especially in my small room. In fact, the clarity is perfect in all the channels, and the channel separation is great. I actually have a friend with the same speakers running on a Yamaha HTR-5840, and he told me that there is much better clarity and volume in my speakers, especially the center channel.
I wanted to give my set-up a simple test for clarity, so I paused my DVD player and turned the power on the receiver all the way up. There was absolutely nothing coming out of the speakers at all. It was completely silent! That was yet another demonstration of the awesome clarity from this unit. I've been using it for over a month now, and have absolutely no complaints at all! Lots of power, perfect tone and clarity, tight bass, awesome channel separation, and just the right number of features. I highly recommend this unit to anyone, especially at the prices to be had now that it is a couple years old.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by jorgillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I BOUGHT A BRITISH MAGAZINE CALL WHAT HI -FI THAT WAS IN JANUARY 2001 AND I FOUND SOME COMMENTS ABOUT THIS RECEIVER ALL THEM TELLING GREAT THINGS ABOUT IT ,INMEDIATLY I WENT TO GET AN AUDITION (ACTUALLY I WAS LOOKING FOR A RECEIVER SPECIALLY A NAD 351),250 MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE MARANTZ .TO BE HONEST THIS IS A REAL BARGAIN SOUNDS LIKE A $800 NAD, ROTEL OR MARANTZ INTEGRADED AMP ,SOUNDS WARM DETAILED AND WITH AN EXCELENT STEREO SEPARATION ,PERHAPS A LITLLE TOO WARM IF COMPARED WITH A DENON OR HARMAN AMPS, BUT DONT FORGET IS A MARANTZ, MY OTHERS COMPONENTS ARE A CD5000 MARANTZ CD PLAYER, B&W 601S2 AND A VELODYNE SUB CT100 AND BELIEVE ME WITH JAZZ CLASSICAL AND BOSSA NOVA(OVER ALL) THIS ONE SOUNDS GREAT ,A REAL BARGAIN .

Purchased At:   dealer at westinster

Submitted by tabasco a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
i was already decided to buy the new yamaha rxv440, but the rep swayed me to the same priced Marantz SR4200. at first, i doubted that rep might just be getting better commission or just wanted to dispose off non-moving items. however, i just replied to what he said. rep has good track record with me.

hence, as i listened to it with my new Nuance speakers - well, I'M ALL TOO SATISFIED. it sounded way better than i expected. Nothing more to ask for. all my CD's now are worth listening. Thanks Tom!

Purchased At:   Gibbys Audio - Ontar

Submitted by Kokot a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I attach my old Lenco LPplayer to a connector of the SR4200 it does not work(With a lengthening piece you can only hear buzzing and without it you hear silent music by highest loudness).I realized that there is no connector for an LPplayer..do I have to buy an extra amplifier and attach it to SR4200 to make my Lenco work?

Purchased At:   Big Bang

Submitted by Lakota379 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a response to the fella who's asking about punching bass from a 4300. Kay, for most dolby digital receivers, you NEED an active subwoofer to get the very low tones. You won't get much deep bass from just the two front channels even with the loudness button, or bass turned to full gain. That's just the way these things seem to work.

Purchased At:   A&B sound