Marantz SR-18 A/V Receivers

4.74/5 (102 Reviews) MSRP : $2700.00

140Wx5,DD,DTS,Component Video,THX Cert,Multi-room

Submitted by powerlord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
Ok I'm finally writing my review on this reciever.I have heard many rumours about the wpc this amp puts out,it is rated at 140 wpc,no more no less.And does more than it's rated power in many reviews and tests.I weighed this reciever on a medical bar scale just to put an end to the anywhere from 49 to 55 lb. weight guess by many,my SR-18 weighs in at just a hair over 60lbs.I don't understand the problem many have had with the OSD control,it's pretty common sense.The sound this bad boy produces is the best I've heard so far,I'm by no means an audiophile yet,I've owned mostly entry to mid level AVR's so this is a step past the mid and into high as the reviews and price suggest.I have had no problem with this unit and the first owner who I know well has never had a problem with it either,so if you have a bad unit there is no need to bash the company,all companies produce lemons.I haven't heard many people that have had any problems with this reciever.This AVR delivers with authority and clarity,you won't be sorry you bought this.

Submitted by robleandramax a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
What a great unit. When I first got it, it was the answer to all my audio prayers. Powerful, great sounding with ever feature you can imagine. The ONLY downside being the remote control which is too top heavy.
Once out of warranty however, things started going wrong. A "pop" through the rear speakers and the sound would go dead. You could usally fix this by switching inputs back and forth or turning the unit off, waiting a minute and turning it back on. After a few days waiting a minute becomes 5 minutes to 15 minutes then it's dead. I've had it "fixed" twice at half the cost of a new unit. It's the DSP board or something and always seems to fail just after the service warranty runs out. It has just done it for the 3rd (and final time). I want to scrap it - the distributor in Australia can't fix it properly and has not answered my emails (is anyone from Marantz Global reading this?? - maybe you can help me?). This, I guess is the same story with all Marantz equipment. Honestly, I bought this looking for 10 years of life before updating (like I got with the Pioneer VSX 9900s I "upgraded" from).
So, I'm left with a very expensive doorstop. Hey, it's a nice looking doorstop!

Purchased At:   Secher Audio

Submitted by normancj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great unit, great power for home use. Lots in reserve. Lots of functionality, well laid out, built to last.

Submitted by audioguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome receiver. I never would have thought this much clean power could come from a receiver without having separates. Great for movies as well as music.

Unlike previous reviewer claims, you can use preamp outputs to play sub as well as use full-range speakers for front channels.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Schumy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well this is not your typical receiver ...you know that you're dealing with something special just from the sheer mass and beautiful looks ...there's no point in repeating all the praise that has already been said about the SR-18 ...it is so good that you will cry when you experience it ...this is the kind of thing you buy and don't get rid of ...it is THAT good! ...do yourself a favour and have some competent speakers that can fully compliment the SR-18's amazing ablities ...also, this receiver stays SO composed at high volumes ...no strain whatsoever which makes me believe there is some serious amperage (current) going through this beast ...i'm guessing over 10 A for sure ...honestly though, this was my best and smartest purchase so far in my relatively short life but i definitely won't be having it for a short time ...actually i highly doubt that i will part with it ever ...it is that good ...go listen and see for yourself ...don't be a fool and buy a Yamaha or Denon or Onkyo or anything else that tries to be as good as Marantz ...i can't wait to get my Energy Veritas speakers ...then i will be dreaming i think

Purchased At:   Used from a gentlema