Marantz SR-14EX A/V Receivers

4.58/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $3499.00

Digital Surround Receiver

Submitted by boy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
na de marantz myn 5003 7003 8005 en halv jaar wachten kocht ik de ze sr14 mk2 voor 1000 euro was over donderd wat een geluid heb 4 lx1000 jbl marantz cd17mk2 dv 12s1 en bd 7003 en sd 57 en 2 pik ups via mixser klinkt zo wel op oud venil als cassete cd als in stero een zeer mooi geluid en een gewedig film of concert genot op dvd en bleu ray nu mog wachten op bd 8002 dan is myn droom vervuld boy

Submitted by marengo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Summary:
The look is wonderful. The feel of the controls are very nice. There was a great deal of thoughtfulness to the layout and the finish quality. It looks as nice 10 years later as it day it came off the production line. The power is still adequate for most uses. And it does have the Marantz mellowness in sound, which is very nice for music let alone for multi-channel video. Integration with many remote control systems is very good. A purchase of RCA male to mini-mono 3.5 female converters help integrate with remote systems based on mono-3.5mm wiring. That's just something that is nice to know, since the Marantz uses RCA connections between their hardware. I found it much easier to mix a URC remote systems (Aurora and MRC-400) than anticipated. To keep this receiver fully current, I pipe the SD and HD component video into my QAM tuner which is connected to my Mac Mini. The computer controls the HDMI video out to the flat panel. This receiver still works beautifully with my legacy inputs as well as the HD programming that I watch and record on the hard disk farm. Sources include a JVC's TD-V1050 cassette, XL-Z1050TN CD, XV-D9000 DVD, QL-Y66F phono, HM-DM40000U vcr, XL-R2010BK CD Recorder, SqueezeBox Classic, eyetv HD on a MacOS Mini

Strengths:
available speaker power, exterior look, quality of the preamp section, nice digital inputs and outputs available, adequate component inputs and outputs. the headphone output is very good to excellent . the digital section of the receiver decodes HDCD which is a kick to see decoded from a ripped CD coming through a SqueezeBox to the receiver. This is one heck of a great sounding two channel system, let alone the sound of the 5 channel system.

Weaknesses:
there is no MM nor MC phono analog inputs, a phono preamp is a required add on for this receiver, which is unfortunate
internal battery for holding settings must be replaced after many years or any interruption resets the setting, which is an irritation.
this receiver does not have HDMI nor DVI video connections. (but I say, big deal, this is a great receiver) it also does not have the latest encoding standards for digital sound output for a number of modern lossless multi-channel sources. BUT, you can pipe in multi-channel through the analog inputs through the receiver from a Blue-ray player with a good analog output capability and this receiver will still do it all. if you do need full 7 channel sound output, you will have to add 2 good quality single channel amplifiers to this receiver.

Similar Products Used: JVC RX-DP20VBK, JVC AX-1050

Submitted by marfansui a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
I got this SR-14EX to replace my SR-19 which has been worth every penny since I owned it. Sound quality is similar in these receivers though the SR-14EX has more punch in the lower frequencies. One must own the SR-14EX in order to appreciate it - copper shields all around, anodized aluminum top and side panels, Marantz didn't hold back on anything in its design. Having two more channels of amplification is just not possible considering how full this 60-lb beast already is. I suppose it can be done but not without sacrifice.

The SR-14EX works very well with my Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/CD/SACD player.

I love the sound of this Marantz and I am sure I will enjoy it for many more years to come.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
All the good things you have heard about the 2-channel sound quality produced by the SR-14EX receiver are correct. I have looked at almost every integrated surround amplifier available on the market but before I went to Sunfire separates I decided to try the SR-14EX because of all the good things I heard about it.

Context: My system is comprised of a very high end Sony cd player and 15 year old British made floor monitors (you know, the old school ones that produce sound images that literally "hang" in mid-air).

The stereo musicality of the SR-14EX is the best I have heard from any solid state integrated unit to date. By physically turning the volume dial to 8/10 I can't determine if it is the limitations of the receiver or my speakers that begin to lend to the deterioration of sound quality. This unit is definately not overrated at 140 watts RMS like so many others are.

I can't wait to hear what this receiver does with my top of the line B&W center channel in 5.1 or 7.1 surround configuration - but alas, all that stuff is packed away until the move is made and I can determine how I want to set up the new room everything will go into.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Icehawk5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just got this for a steal on e-bay. This thing is built like a tank (60lbs) and it reeks of quality construction. The unit was the flagship unit two years ago and was crammed full of audiophile upgrades. I was replacing 10 year old mid-fi equipment and the sound this thing produced told me just how little I knew about audio equipment.

When I upgraded to my B&W speakers, I was that much more impressed. The sound is unbelievable, the remote is a bit daunting at first, but for anybody that has ever worked a computer, it won't produce a stroke.

For now, I'm only using as a 5.1 system, but I have the option to upgrade to 7.1 with an external amp as the it has the outputs to support 7.1.

PANAMAX: