Kenwood VR-7080 A/V Receivers

3.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $376.00

• THX Select certification
  • K-STAT amplifier design
  • 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD (surround L/R rated at 0.7% THD)
  • backlit, learning/multibrand TouchZone remote
  • THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic II
  • DTS Neo:6 modes
  • SRS Circle Surround II modes
  • 32-bit processor
  • multi-zone A/V capability (preamp-level stereo audio and composite video output for second room)
  • 7.1-channel preamp output
  • component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (10MHz bandwidth)
  • digital inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
  • optical digital output
  • 3 audio inputs (including phono), 5 A/V inputs (including 5 S-video, 1 front-panel and one 5.1-channel)
  • 5 audio DSP modes (Arena, Theater, Jazz Club, Stadium, Disco)
  • 2-stage Midnight Theater mode
  • 96kHz/24-bit D/A and A/D converters
  • banana plug-compatible binding posts for all main-room speakers
  • 2 sets of main speaker outputs
  • anti-resonant aluminum front panel
  • 40 AM/FM presets
  • 17-5/16"W x 6-5/16"H x 16"D

Submitted by tungitek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
i am very please with the unit, i have it for more than two years now. The remote is cool but gets annoying after a while. I like to watch movie really loud and it keeps lighting up so i had to find a good place to put it when watchign movie. The battery run out quickly for normal remote usage. You really gotta find time to figure the unit out, i assume the guy review this before me didnt have that much time before his unit blew up. Well im here to tell u about the unit so here goes. First it's made in malaysia which is good. it's 120wattsX6 channels. You can only adjust +10 or - 10 db bass or treble in stereo mode. With 5.1 setup u can adjust +10 or -10 for subwoofer (which i love), surround left and right, center , surround back ( if you have that turned on). The front left and right channel doesnt have level adjustment though. Then there's different sound field which is fun sometime to listen to. This reciever have very low THD (total harmonic distortion) and that's every important when you're buyin reciever so be sure to read about it when making a decision.

Submitted by Karl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I spent the better part of 9 months researching A/V Receivers. I was looking at high-end models, HK, Onkyo, and even Marantz to replace my 30 year old Marantz. But then I discovered the VR7080. For the money $500-$1000 cheaper, Kenwood gives you everything one would want, Phono jack, THX, awesome touch pad learning remote, that shows you only the functions for the component your controlling at the time. Perfect for my wife!

Finally after reading the manual cover to cover multiple times, I still was hesitant. Mind you I have not purchased a receiver in 30 years, and I did not want to buy a white elephant. However, I final bought the unit from www.ecost.com (great group, as there was no pressure in trying to up sale me to buy something additional). I hooked it up and it worked great for 1 week. I was very please with my purchase, it was doing exactly what I expected of the unit. Until one night the remote touch pad began flashing at me. I had no control, I thought it was the batteries, but after replacing them I still had no control. Oh well so the next day I went to manual, turning the power on at the base unit or adjusting the volume, etc. Then suddenly the music stopped, I looked at the display and it was suddenly dark. I turned the unit back on and sparks and flames came out of the right rear of the unit. I unplugged the unit, tried it again and same thing. I plugged it into a different outlet and still sparks and flames were shooting out. The thing that bothered me the most about this is that in all of my research I had read of a similar situation with regards of the receiver blowing up. However, I ignored the comment thing that it must have been a fluke. I called e.cost and they were very helpful, they took the unit back and have not forced me to take another or charged me with a restocking fee. At this point I am not sure if I am going to replace it with another VR7080 or spend the money for a HK, Onkyo, or Marantz, as I am back to square one.

Purchased At:   www.ecost.com