Kenwood VR-7070 A/V Receivers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $315.00

• THX Select certification
  • K-STAT amplifier design
  • 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD (surround L/R rated at 0.7% THD)
  • THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic II
  • DTS Neo:6 modes
  • SRS Circle Surround II modes
  • 32-bit processor
  • multi-zone A/V capability (preamp-level stereo audio and composite video output for second room)
  • learning/multibrand LCD remote
  • 7.1-channel preamp output
  • component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (10MHz bandwidth)
  • digital inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
  • optical digital output
  • 3 audio inputs (including phono), 5 A/V inputs (including 5 S-video, 1 front-panel and one 5.1-channel)
  • 5 audio DSP modes (Arena, Theater, Jazz Club, Stadium, Disco)
  • 2-stage Midnight Theater mode
  • 96kHz/24-bit D/A and A/D converters
  • banana plug-compatible binding posts for all main-room speakers
  • 2 sets of main speaker outputs
  • anti-resonant aluminum front panel
  • 40 AM/FM presets
  • 17-5/16"W x 6-5/16"H x 16"D

Submitted by Jomutha a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought this looking to upgrade from a 5.1 Pioneer and get something THX certified for under a grand (at the time) Run a combo of new smaller klipsh's & tivolis w/tivoli powered sub and use (I know this is sad) a pair of vintage JBL C56 Dorians as rear surrounds since they double as marble topped end tables. While the kenwood did good bass due to the powered sub, the JBL's were gravy-sucking pigs for power and come Super bowl time, they tripped the amp into safe mode (but ABC's '06 broadcast had sketchy audio anyway) had some issues w/rt channels cutting out previously in certain modes, so finally got fed up and bought a Yamaha HTR-5890 for more overall oomph and simplicity

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Matt L. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
This receiver is a real treat to listen to. It is my second HT system, and it really impresses. I have my friends over to see movies, and some of them have what they consider to be their 'high-end' systems that they spent literally thousands on. I have put a great set of speakers on them, the Athena AS-F2s and the matching PS-400 sub, and they are amazed at the sound. Most will say that this system is the match of what they have, and two of them say this system is downright better.

Set this system up, and after a while you will realize you have better sound at home than you do when go to a theater.

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by dontbhatin01 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a great reciever for the money. At the time I baught this I was looking at much more expensive recievers, that just did'nt have the features like thx,neo-6 and a lot more. After listning for about 2 years , I am impressed this thing sounds great.I have only found 3 faults #1,the remote kind of stinks I'll explain,I origonaly baught the vr 6070 which is the same. It got struck buy lightning and I took it back to best buy and they did'nt stock the vr 6070 any more,so they gave me the vr 7070. anyway the only diffrence was that the 6070 had a way better remote which was rf so you could use it almost any where in the house.#2 there is no crossover adjustment,and #3 7.1 out puts but only 5.1 in puts and to use the 7.1 outs you have to totaly bypass the internal amp.Other than that I realy like it.Oh if you buy frombest buy always spend the money for the extended warrenty, they are realy good. trust me kenwood wouldent have fixed my vr 6070 or just givin me a new one. Here is a list of my equipment

SPEAKERS
paradigm cc170
paradigm lcr 150 left, right and rear center.
paradigm adp 150 rear left and right
jvc xv-d723 dvd audio player

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by NealF a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver in an auction having wanted one to replace my first foray into the HT arena which was a entry level Sherwood. The price for THX certification is what drew me to this receiver and the fact that I had discovered that most of the entry level receivers do not produce Bass below 40hz. This was a 2003 model and was factory reconditioned. It looked new with the exception of the manual which was in fact a copy. Set up was easy and the sound it produced right out of the box was clearly superior to my old receiver. The amount of Bass it produced lead me to adjust the Bass settings downward. Music and movie sound tracks sound great and there are a multitude of settings. The remote was easy enough to set up and program to control my TV and DVD as well as the receiver. My system sounds much better with this receiver and I couldnt be more pleased.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by cmnoa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
i reviewed this exact receiver in the wrong section, so i transfered over my review here at it's rightful place.

I'm guessing mine is a 2003 model and i got it a week prior to this review. It's an amazing machine which is also THX certified. I love it and it will take me far along my path of home theaters.

600 watts x 6 channels for 6.1 surround sound, 6th channel could be the surround rear center speaker or it can be adjusted to be a subwoofer (not counting the already supplied subout), a 7th preout channel and all the surround decoding you can ask for.

You guys have to get this receiver... THX CERTIFIED!!! Also did you guys know you may receive the THX demo disc for buying a THX component? Yes you can, but retailers have a right to refuse the distribution of the demo disc, but you can ask for it with high hopes. I got mine from a different source, but it's for me to know and you to find out. The THX trailers like tex, tex2 (moocan), and tex ex, ect. (the thx trailers are usually at the begining of thx movies). Remember, the demo disc isn't for sale for the consumer market. go to www.thx.com for more info.

Back to the receiver... i don't regret buying it... especially for the price i got it for. I love the sound it makes while in the various surround modes.

Purchased At:   www.etronics.com