Kenwood VR-6060 A/V Receivers

The VR-6060 has you covered on all counts! It delivers dynamic multichannel movie and music thrills via 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 6 channels of clean Kenwood power. It''s also got an advanced 32-bit Analog Devices processor that supplies precise Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, and Dolby Pro Logic™ II decoding.

Submitted by Morgan73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased to replace VR-505 reciever. Has lot of useful features, DTS-ES, Dolby Digital EX, Pro-Logic II, 100 watts x 6 for rear surround, no pre-amp needed. Sound is clean and quite powerful. The rear panel is clearly marked, making it easy for hooking up components, speakers, etc. Remote control is easy to use and has RF control, and can be programmed to operate a number of components. Very good sound and features for a pretty good price. Hard to find reciever with all these features in this price range.

Purchased At:   Futureshop

Submitted by jdeare a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver solely because I needed more S-Video inputs than my Sony STR-DE935 had. After much research, I found it to be the cheapest receiver that has 4 S-video inputs on the back panel. When I received a 10% off coupon from Best Buy in the mail, I went and picked one up.

My first impression of this receiver was positive. It looks very impressive and has lots of logos on the front panel. Additionally, the small display has a ton of little icons that light up based on which input you are using.

I proceeded to hook everything up and before I put the receiver back in my entertainment stand, I decided to test everything to make sure I had hooked it up right. I could get no sound from the Video 2 inputs, although I could get a video signal. After much switching of cables, I determined that the inputs were bad, and I took the receiver back.

In between buying it and hooking it up, I watched a couple movies, including the Fellowship of the Ring on DVD. I was not overly impressed with the sound of this receiver. Everything seemed kind of thin and lacking in bass, despite the fact that I set it up so that the LFE signal was sent to the main speakers (I have no sub yet). Additionally, in their desire to give this receiver a lot of features and corresponding logos, Kenwood forgot to spend any time on ergonomics. Also, the setup menus are somewhat confusing at first, although they are thorough.

Overall, I was not too impressed, although I would have kept it if it had not been defective. Given the chance, I got a Yamaha HTR-5560 instead, which I like a lot better.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Beltway a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Being an audiophile on a tight budget (which makes me an 'audio enthusiast' I suppose) and also being one who would rather demo audio gear at home, I picked up the Kenwood VR-6060 middle-of-the-line receiver from Best Buy and here are the complaints from the 2 weeks I've had it on my 6 speakers:

A LOT of noise introduced using the "Active EQ". I know active equalization adds distortion, but this is ridiculous. Hum/hiss easily heard even over moderate music levels and even with a digital source. Very annoying, since tone controls and loudness (which are much less noisy) are only available for stereo mode.

My second main beef is that there is no option for simple stereo surround. The closest is the CircleSurroundII MONO setting, which outputs the left-channel signal to all speakers. Pretty odd, since I can't think of any modern monaural source this would be useful for except AM radio. I'm not very impressed with any of the surround modes, but that's not Kenwood's fault, I suppose.

It's also quite sucky that none of the tone controls are available to headphones when speakers are shut off. The headphone jack is also loose in its mounting and wiggles quite a bit. Not a real confidence-instilling detail for my $400.

Objectively speaking, however, these are minor complaints that the target market of the 6060 shouldn't find too problematic. The VR-6060 shines on DTS and DD DVD material, but this ain't the one if you listen (critically) to a lot of music.

If you can afford (and appreciate) better, I recommend doing so. I'm still not sure whether I'll keep the 6060 given my budget.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by HawkeyePierce_2000 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is actually a 2002 model year product. Is there something out there that is a better value, quite possibly. Am I happy with this purchase, absolutly! Sound is clean and crisp, plays loud enough for my kids to ask me to turn it down and is easy enough for my wife to use. I have the system connected to my Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV speakers and other than needing to upgrade the sub at some point, the entire package was a great buy.

If you have read any of the reviews over the years for either the VR-409 or the VR-509 from Kenwood, then you know of the good and bad parts. The great thing about the 6060 is that the weaknesses of the past have been fixed. The system was easy to hook-up. The layout of the back panel is clear and concise. Speaker connections are all the same. Overheating does not seem to be a problem. The case appears solid and well built. Kenwood has also improved things with the upgrade to Circle Suround II, which makes listening to CD's a joy.

If you are on a tight budget and want to have a great receiver, then the VR-6060 is one of the great values available.

Purchased At:   mjshow.com

Submitted by breeze a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had the 6060 since June. It is my first receiver, replacing an old Sony SA VA-1 system. The list price is $599.00 Canadian. Being on a budget, this receiver has all the bells and whistles that I could need, including DD EX, DTS-ES, NEO:6, PLII and Circle Surround, speaker EQ and active EQ. Since this is a budget receiver, I chose high sensitivity speakers(Athena Technologies Audition Series) to take stress off the amplifiers. This combination works very well. The 6060 is rated at 100 watts per channel, but that is at 1 channel driven. I don't know what the actual amount of watts is with 6 channels driven. That being said, I can play music and movies at VERY loud volumes without distortion. Watching Lord of the Rings on DVD did the power of the amps. The unit does not run hot when played at loud volumes. The remote is very good. It has an lcd screen that shows you what input you have selected. It also was easy to program my other remotes. The remote also uses RF, so it is not necessary to point it at the receiver. For a person on a budget, this receiver is definitely worth an audition.

Purchased At:   Visions