Kenwood VR 5700 A/V Receivers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Engineered to merit demanding THX Ultra certification, this stellar performer delivers 120 watts x 5 of ultra low-noise, All Channels-Driven power thanks to Kenwood's K-Ground topology, Ultrasonic Response circuit design, and K-STAT output devices. Unique performance advantages include a Universal Video HD format transcoder, two-way Pointless RF LCD remote, HDCD decoding, and audio/video dual room/dual source capability. A second-generation SHARC DSP provides Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby Pro Logic II, THX Surround EX, dts ES (matrix and discrete), and dts Neo 6 decoding. 11 gold-plated audio inputs include phono for total flexibility.

Submitted by galan 2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
muy buen receiver tiene gran poder y muy buena apariencia

Purchased At:   kenwood dealer

Submitted by hazesamoy@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
Incredible sound. Only complaint is switching between an analog signal(DVD-Audio) and Digital signal from the same source (DV-5700 DVD player) sometimes requires powering down. Since the source can send both an analog and digital signal simultaneously, it seems that selecting which to use can hang up the system. Otherwise this unit sounds incredibly clear at high volumes.

Submitted by Brad Goldring a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just installed my 5700 tonight, and managed to get in 1.5 movies that were very enjoyable. I watched the opening scene to Lord of the Rings on my VR-3100 I'm replacing, then setup the 5700 and watched it again. Not a vast difference but one that was noticeable to someone with some experience. During moments of vast quantities of sound, you could hear very clear definition and clearity across all channels, through all speakers, from all directions. Even though there is only a 10W increase between the 3100 and the 5700, it really is a lot more. I was able to easily max out my 3100, the 5700 I would be cringing if I did so during any intense loud scenes.

The more simple remote exceeds the usablility of the Touchpad remote that came with my 3100. Although the 3100's remote sounded really neat before I got it...

The addition of the bass level peak setting I thought was a good addition. As with my 3100 I would constantly be watching the red peak light on my sub to see if it was gonna blow up. Now I can rest assured the 5700 is doing it's best to protect it.

Purchased At:   Direct from Kenwood

Submitted by cprimous a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is simply a great receiver. It decodes every multi-channel format available today and is equiped with 5.1 channel inputs for future formats.

One of the only weaknesses that most reviewers find with this unit is that it does not include the two channels of amplification for the back surround speakers used for Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES. I bought the additional two channel amplifier that was designed to be used with this receiver, the MX-5000. I really like the flexibility that this configuration gives me. I can use the MX-5000 to either power the back channels in EX or ES, or to power speakers for another room. Also, when I 'm ready to move on to another receiver, which won't be for a long time, I now have a THX Ultra high powered amp to augment whichever system I prefer.

In short, Kenwood's VR-5700 is a well designed, high-quality receiver, that puts emphasis on bang for the buck. I purchased the VR-5700 and the MX-5000 for less than $1,500.00. That combination gives me everything available today as far as sound formats, and 7.1 input channels for the future (5.1 on the VR-5700 and 2 on the MX5000 ).

And if you need more, consider that the VR-5700 was designed to be integrated with the rest of the Sovereign line of Kenwood products. Add the Entre, and the oh so cool Axcess Remote Portal, and you have a custom system that just can't be beat.

With the Sovereign line of products, Kenwood is sure to turn some heads. I for one am impressed and would recommend this receiver to anyone who wants the best of both worlds between performance and price.

Purchased At:   Kenwood Outlet

Submitted by Mike Pendergrass a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned this receiver for about 3 months and have finally ran it through all of its paces. Power wise ... its a strong contender in that department. I always seem to have 'enough' volume when i need it ... or dont :p

DVD Audio decoding is in there.

The remote control has about a week learning curve but there is nothing i cant do with it ... Its nice that it operates both RF and IR and i use Xantack IR eyes to throw the IR signal out of the receiver and at my other equipment.

Universal Video is a big plus also. I like the fact i can go in with any video input and out of my receiver with component so no matter what i hook up it will pass through without changing inputs on my tv.

Couple little quirks ...
Cant rename inputs .. you can call it VCR but i cant rename it too something like Sony VCR. A simple feature i am sure that is easy to implement.

You cant force 7.1 on anything thats done in Dolby Digital. Even if it would matrix the sound to my Surround Back speakers that would be fine but it only seems to work for those movies encoded in 6.1 or 7.1

Also, you'll need another amp. It only has the preouts for the left and right Surr. Back channels .. They make a matching amp for about $500 retail but i found another .. a pioneer Elite for less ...

It does a good job with decoding and is loaded to the gills with software so you wont be running out and buying another receiver soon.

All in all .. i give it 4 stars out of 5 for both.

Kenwood Sovereign VR 5700 won't turn on?

I bought this receiver a while back to replace a pioneer that had failed, mainly because it would turn off after being on for a second or two. The kenwood has really been amazing for me, and today, I was listening to some music from my computer, and the thing turned off. I turned it back on, and the ... Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: