Kenwood VR 510 A/V Receivers

3.92/5 (13 Reviews)

Enjoy authentic surround sound with this VR-510 Dolby capable and THX certified receiver from Kenwood.

Submitted by nextmorning a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
For anyone reading this review and isn't sure whether or not to buy this receiver I have two words for you BUY IT!!!! Don't listen to these guys who talk about sound escaping the room or giving sound color trust me once you crank this baby up the movies come alive!!! Especially your THX ones. There isn't much difference between DTS with or without THX but take Toy Story 2 pop it in and listen to your surround speakers they actually do something CONSTANTLY. I hooked it up side by side with the Kenwood VR 6050 and there is a noticable difference. One thing you'll notice out of the box this thing is LOUD. Turn it up and up and up and it keeps sounding better and better. The VR 6050 starts distorting at around
-5DB. I have Technics speakers all around at 100W and they sing now. Music listeners beware it's not the greatest of amps for 2 speaker stereo modes. You'll need an EQ for that. But this item is meant for movies and for the price paid none compare. I've heard them or tried them all. From Pioneer to Yamaha to Sony. Please stay away from SONY!!!!! I'm very happy all I need now a a massive super loud thumping Subwoofer to replace my tired one. It's had better days. Once again buy it buy it buy it. Remember THX certification means exactly that. It's been put through vigorous testing so you know it's a quality amp.

Purchased At:   Centre Hi Fi

Submitted by speedaddict a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Picked this A/V receiver up through an open box sale at Futureshop for $500 CDN. Thought that the THX would vault this amp above the rest at this price point. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I found the amp more than adequate for movie reproduction. Settings are intuitive, connectivity options are probably the best for the price (pre outs, etc.) The DSP modes are next to useless (at least with the 2 speaker configuration I'm using).

At first the receiver lived up to my expectations, but as I listened closer this changed. I listen to a lot of music and the aural reproduction was somewhat lacking. It seemed dry, bland, and neutral. Some may like music sounding like this, but I am use to an old circa 1970 Sansui amp. After further investigation I found that the Kenwood had digital tone controls (bass and treble). All the sound was being mixed in digital in the Kenwood before amplification, causing a colouration to the audio. The source direct button, suprisingly, did not seem to completely bypass the digital circuitry.

Overall, I liked the VR-510 for movies. Toy Story 2 sounded crisp and punchy. The aggressive sound that the VR-510 produces is condusive to movie sound, but I found it somewhat lacking for music. If you are looking for music reproduction I would advise you to find an amp with analog (not digital) tone controls and a limited amount of digital processing. I finally returned the VR-510 and exchanged it for a Yamaha HTR-5550.

Purchased At:   Futureshop

Submitted by Adam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
As the previous reviewer noted, setting Up Bass Management is easy once you understand how this receiver works.

All other things aside, you MUST turn up the bass peak level (in the setup menu)or turn off bass peak level clipping completely. At -30db you will get weak bass, try turning it up to the level at which your sub clips. This option defaults to -30db which is way too low. I have mine set to ~ -15db.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by kcdavebob a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW. This receiver is top notch for the money paid. If you read the owners manual when setting this bad boy up, then you are home free. If you own it for two weeks and don't know crap about how to operate it, it might sound like crap. But after I got it all set up and everything tweeked and optimized, it blew me away. The Dolby Pro Logic II is excellent for VHS. There is hardly any audible difference between pro logic II and 5.1. Don't listen to people tell you that it has no bass. Bass is determined more by your subwoofer than your reciever. Plus, some people plug it in and turn it on and expect to hear perfection without setting it up properly. After I raised the peak option on the receiver, then the bass couldn't be better. It shakes the pictures on my walls. I watched Star War's Episode I the other day and it was incredible.

SOME PEOPLE ARE WAY TOO PICKY!! This is an excellent receiver and Kenwood products have always been good to me.

Purchased At:   etronics.com

Submitted by Martek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Please don't waste your money on this product. There are many other choices in this category. I looked at the VR 510 for about two seconds. I finally went with the Denon AVR-2802 which retails for $100 more. THX is a marketing ploy. There are other products out there which provide a much better value and bang for the buck.

Sennheiser: