Kenwood VR 505 A/V Receivers

3.92/5 (13 Reviews)

Enjoy Dolby Surround in your home with Kenwood's VR-505.

Submitted by lloyd walling a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
i suppose if you are a real stereo junkie one would want more.for most of us i believe it serve the majority of us just fine

Submitted by tulegit a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. Whoever says that the strenght of this reciever is the sound quality, has never listened to a decent system. This unit is ok is you want an affordable way to watch movies in 5.1, but if you are into high quality sound and music...go somewhere else. I hooked up my speakers up to the unit and it sounded like crap...no clarity at all. Then I hooked it up to my MCS reciever and the speakers came alive.

Purchased At:   Kenwood factory outl

Submitted by Brent Delcourt a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first effort at a suround sound system.I bought the Kenwood vr505 as a starter unit and matched it up with a set of Prolinear dual driver towers. I picked up a Prolinear 8" 100 watt powered sub to pump up the base. Matched the centre channel, an Energy EXLC with a set of Energy EXL15 outboard (5" woofers with aluminum tweeters)I now have a great system. I use a Toshiba SD2710 DVD and play a lot of movies. Mainly war stuff or Sci Fi. Talk about power. At one quarter volume the Windows are rattling. The power from the sub runs thru me like a sonic boom. Excellent clearity from the sligtest tinkling to the loudest bells. The remote is small but managable. Quick to run through the pre sets for sound selections. Fairly good control over speaker positioning with the ability to control individual speaker volume. In a 15'x10'room the 505 is awsome. I have had no problems getting base sound from the 505 as I selected deeper sounding speakers when I bought the system with this in mind. Three cheers for the VR 505.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Kevin Hall a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I didn't need much of an amp, I just got this receiver so I could play PS2 Games in 5.1, and even though I have marginal speakers I am still getting really good sound of this receiver. I have to agree with everyone else about the effects being somewhat questionable, but I don't use them anyway (hehe) great bang for the buck and playing video games in 5.1 is awesome!

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Morgan73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very good sound and features at a good price. Easy to set up. Sound very clean and quite powerful. DTS and Dolby Digital sound great. Overall, I'm very pleased with this reciever. It has a lot of useful features, such as auto. signal detection, and 5 DSP modes, which I don't use, but are nice to have anyway. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for good sound for a real good price.

Purchased At:   Wacky Wheatley's