Kenwood VR-409 A/V Receivers

3.87/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Dolby Digital/DTS receiver

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the kenwoord vr-409 reciever in the summer of 2001 but i think its the 2000 model. Has Great sound... I have 2 mtx floor standing speakers with 15" woofers on each, bass sounds awesome but i still need more. I've looked into powered subs but they don't sound any better than what i have. I need the bass i can feel and i can only achieve that when its on -25-30db which makes the mids and highs extremely loud. If you have any advice on what i can do for more bass, email me Uwish7284@Aol.com.

The audio for video 2 and 3 (if that makes sense) were dead when i bought it. They fixed it and nows its as good as new.

The remote is a little tricky at first but you get used to it. IT DOES EAT BATTERIES.

This reciever was worth every penny... Im going to stick with kenwood for future ones.

Purchased At:   AmericanTV

Submitted by Murray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I think this amp/receiver is great, both for the money and the ease of use. The low bass response is a pain in the butt initially, however if you attach a sub to the preout- the unit really responds well.
I have tried playing w/ the new Dolby Pro II w/ the music and the movie setting, and both work wonderfull. It adds great sound especially to VCR movies.
I purchased this model a month after I had initially bought the VR 409- and don't regret it for a second. This amp is second from the top of the line VR 510 (THX) and almost $250.00 cheaper. If you don't need the THX, this is the one for you.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by bass mann a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
this reciever is so cool i mean what cant i say about it lots of inputs and outputs s video inputs great for my sony s-3000 dvd player and great bass response when hooked up to a decent sub in any input mode try listening to cd in circle surround with the volume at
-40db wow!!! i must say that the reciever gets kinda hot but then again most recievers do i am very satisfied with this product go kenwood!! one query though, i need an instruction manual for the remote but kenwood doesnt list that remote on their manuals list can somebody help me. rc-ro809 thanx

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
The price for this was to good to pass up. That was my main reason I bought it. I was set on the new 507 but I found very little difference and again the price.

But I wish I had heard it in the store or read all your reviews. The main thing missing is Bass from standard music modes.

For DVD's it perfect. The Digital Modes are great.

However, I listen to music alot and I kept thinking that something was missing in my living room speakers where there is no sub and it's attached to Speaker B. The crispness was missing as well as deep base.

I guess the good thing is that I can return it with 30 days. Any suggestions for a replacement for the same price. It's going to be hard to beat. Please e-mail with any suggetions.

Purchased At:   Good Guys - Demo Model

Submitted by Marek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall great receiver for the price when I bought it! Plenty of power too! Instruction manual is written poorly. Due to that it took me a while to figure how to get more bass out of this model. Lots of inputs for just about everything you need for your home theater. I admit though I still miss my last product a Pioneer SX-838, didn't have quite the clarity as this Kenwood does, but seemed to have more bass. At some point I will probably upgrade to one of the new models (VR-510)just for the THX Select .

Purchased At:   Ebay