Kenwood VR-3100 A/V Receivers

3.45/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Dolby Digital - DTS - AV/Receiver - 100 watts x 5 channels - Digital Audio Input: 4 (2 Coaxial, 2 TOS-link Optical) - Digital Audio Output: 1 (TOS-link Optical) - Video Inputs: 4 Composite, 4 S-Video - Video Outputs: 1 Composite, 1 S-Video

Submitted by delano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the reciever when it first hit the market and was very pleased with it. The clarity and the 2-way remote really seperated it from the rest. At first the remote was hard to operate because it was new to me, but after i got the hang of it I thought the reciever was flawless.

Purchased At:   Post Exchange

Submitted by Mervin Chantland a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Reciever has great sound and many features.The trouble with the product is the remote controll.My controll has completley failed and I just found out that the replacement from Kenwood direct is 382.33 ( wow )without the remote the reciever is usless dont buy this unit!!!.I do not believe that I will ever concider Kenwood again.Model vr-3100.

Purchased At:   Kenwood

Submitted by B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used audioreview to help me make many informed purchases of audio products with outstanding results. The Kenwood 3100 is an Excellent / OUTSTANDING A/V receiver for the money spent. I own and use the 3100 everyday and am Very Happy with it`s performance. It is a shame an Idiot like Tom Maciejewski (see his reviews)would rate this A/V receiver and bring the over all rating down because he was foolish to buy one with out a remote control -- Wake-up Tom !! Are you a know it all - but know nothing ? Larry`s review was far to kind of Tom and his type. I will not be kind - These simple - single minded people should be band from lowering the rating of otherwise fine product(s)with truly unbias open minded opion of products.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by tom maciejewski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to post an update on the service from 6th ave electronics. I sort of bashed them in my above review after the store refused to help me out. I was able to call the corporate offices and they were able to locate the remote control for me and split the cost of their price of teh remote with me. So I paid $150 for the $600 remote control. I thought this was fair and wanted to post back to this list to say that the service / total value I received was now acceptable for this item and once I contacted the corporate offices it was outstanding.

Purchased At:   6th ave

Submitted by Larry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had this receiver for a good while now. I've come to know it's features pretty well, and enjoy it's performance.
At first I didn't like the remote, even though it is miles ahead of the other non-touchscreen LCD powertouch used by the 3080, and the 2000 series AV Recievers.

I already had a "home theatre master" learning remote that I love, so I taught it the kenwood signals and used it almost all the time. The only time I needed the Kenwood remote was when I wanted to tweak the receiver. Otherwise my 2nd learning remote could switch from DPL, to stereo and other modes much quicker. Having said that, I am NOW beginning to really like the powertouch remote. There's a learnig curve to it, but once it is learned, it's pretty cool having signals go both to the receiver and back from the receiver to the powertouch.

I have the matching 200 disc multi room cd player. I programmed close to 200 discs using the receiver's remote. The titles appear both on the front of the CD player's panel, and on the 3100's lcd remote. It stores all the disc titles, tracks and artist names inside the remote, and reads any changes made to the disc player. Pretty cool. Plus the styling on both units are the same and look quite striking.

It's too bad that Tom only gave this good reciever 1 star. He lowered the overall rating here by foolishly taking his mistake out on the receiver's rating. Anyone reading can tell that he should be angry with himself for not knowing what he was doing when he bought it without a remote. I saw him trying to sell it on ebay for $350. $100 bucks more than he paid. Ah well.

I'm very happy with this receiver. The 2 way remote sets it apart from others.

Purchased At:   ubid