Kenwood VR-309 A/V Receivers

3.87/5 (103 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

AC3+DTS Receiver - 100 watts x 5 channels - Video Inputs: 3 Composite, 3 S-Video - Video Outputs: 1 Composite, 1 S-Video

Submitted by VintageTurntable a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this receiver on ebay. I paid $123.79 and it delivers crisp,clear music even when I use my Kenwood Rear Surround Sound Speakers as stereo speakers. You won't need a subwoofer unless your front speakers are bookshelf. It has never given me any problems. $123.79 is a steal for a $400.00 Stereo Receiver! I haven't tried the Surround Sound as I don't have the equipment.

Submitted by alexmichael124 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
i received this stereo for free and have always loved it. It sounds great with everything and i wouldnt want anything els. But, one day i come home to my stereo and speakers all moved to the opposite side of the room by my stupid ass f***in retard sister and right away ik im f***ed. i cant get the stereo to play sound to any speakers and have not been able to use if for a few months now.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've had this receiver for almost 10 years now and it ROCKS!! The only problem I have had with it so far is the power button on the remote quit working. No biggie!! I have a universal. Anyway, my speaker system inludes 2 E-712's, 2 LS-10's (front A and B), 1 E-76C (center), 2 E-76's (surround) and a LW-15 for my sub. All are Cerwin Vega home speakers and are an excellent match for the VR-309 receiver. The sound is amazingly clear and crisp. I would definately recommend a subwoofer for this unit though. Throw in Jurrasic Park 3 DVD, set the receiver to DTS, crank it up to about -30 or -20 and WATCH OUT FOR THE PLANE!!! DUCK!!!! LOL!!!

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by joe voicheck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
The VR-309 has been a sweetheart until lately. Have gotten a power supply problem associated with times when the unit is physically touched - causes power to be switched on/off. Document, including SM, provides no help for this. Other than the current problem (which I still hope to solve), the unit has had exceptional sound quality for all speakers, my IM Fried fronts especially. Tuning the sub to the fronts is an important aspect of good audio quality. The VR-309 gives good internal adjustments for that. Plenty of power for my 15 by 30 room (-40 is more than adequate).
Now if only I can figure out how to solve the switching problem...

Submitted by jeremy bluhm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I like this reciever alot. Has great sound. You people need to learn how to use it. S-video works better than regular audio cables.

Purchased At:   pawn shop