Kenwood VR-2090 A/V Receivers

3.64/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Submitted by Jordan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
I don't get all of the people who are complaining about the remote interface and how hard the unit is to set up. My Kenwood VR 2090 was given to me as a gift from a friend who knew I was into Audio. He said it was just sitting in his garage, because he bought a Harmon Kardon unit. I received it with NO instruction manual, yet i had it hooked up and running in no time. Sounds great with my Marantz speakers that I completely rebuilt myself. I just bought a pair of Klipsch KG4s, hooked them up, and found that one of the tweeters was shot. Once the parts arrive from ebay, then, I will be Rocking. So far, I like the sound of the Kenwood and all of the features. I only wish that it had a Pre Amp output for the main channels.

Purchased At:   Gift

Submitted by matt a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Kenwood must have had their heads up their's asses while making this model. This is the slowest most cunfusing piece of titty on the market. For anybody else in the market, I recommend you don't get this model, but Kenwood has improved. It sounds just as good as all the other recievers, but it takes forever to figure out all the functions,the manual sucks the big one! I'm tempted to take a sledge hammer to the remote, but then the main unit would be totally useless.(be warned about this unit, I've learned my lesson)

Purchased At:   local electronics sh

Submitted by ashVID a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT unit and for the price cannot be touched. Because of the "fuse" problem there used to be many refurbs at $600 and under which is how I got mine about 3 years ago. DO NOT LET THIS PROBLEM DETOUR YOU! It literally take 5 minutes, $2 and ZERO know-how to switch the fuses. No schematics required. When used in combination with the 200 disc changer you can read your discs and tracks right on your remote. Sounds output is great and all sources have no noticeable degradation. If you are an X10 freak you will like those capabilites, I just use my remote to dim the lights which is EASY and CHEAP to set up. I could go on and on but I just upgraded EVERYTHING in my system EXCEPT this receiver, that is how much I like it. Until I have the need for more component inputs I will stick with this baby!

Purchased At:   Spidergear

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ok, I revied this product over 2 years ago and though it was time for an update. Who know someone may be looking to buy one.

Anyway, after all the trouble I had with the unit, I spent sometime on the Kenwood support site talking to other owners. They all had similar complaints and problems as I did yet they still loved the system.

Turns out there are two major flaws with the receiver. First, the 5 fuses inside tend to blow very easy as they are under-rated. If yours blow you won't get any sound out. Go to Radio Shack and buy replacements at a slightly higher rated value. Replace all of them at the same time and save yourself some trouble. Sooner or later they will all go.

The second problem is with cooling. There is a fan inside which is switched on by a sensor (mine never switched on). As a result I kept blowing the amps. I replaced the sensor however I placed a small external computer fan on the back of the unit to ensure the unit was being cooled all the time.

Two year later and it's not missed a beat. Very pleased with the system.

Submitted by Luke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall, it's a great receiver, looks very nice, has great sound...
But, the auto-update remote codes don't work, the remote has a horrible range, very bulky interface, very slow....

Other than the remote/interface and the fuse problem, it's a great unit..

Atlantic Technology :