Kenwood VR-208 A/V Receivers

Submitted by Patty a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Lacks depth soundwise. My frustration however isin trying to replace the remote.Authorized parts dealer only and it'$70.00. I've tried 3 universal remotes stating they are Kenwood compatible to no avail. Called Kenwood 3 yrs ago and no one there could tell me the code. Now the remote is totally gone. I've made 9 phone calls following Kenwoods instructions and still can't get it to work.

Submitted by Darek Przepiorkowski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great entry level Dolby Digital reciver for the money if you have good speakers.I'm using Infinity satelites plus infinity sub BU-1 and it sounds great in my small living room (7X5 meters)

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Kam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I find the remote a bit confusing, and the programming is a bit hard to understand. The other units i have had is more easier to understand and use. But other than that the sounds and the style is good. I think though the machine is a bit wide...It does not fit in an ordinary entertainment center, i have tried to fit it into 2 other entertainment stands and it's a bit wide in the front. This is a good buy if you are paying less than $325.00 CDN for it. I just bought a new Home theater package which is a Kenwood HTB-202 with a Kenwood Receiver VR-355..I will review that later after i use it for awhile...But this one i paid only $499.00 CDN for the 6 speakers and receiver...

Submitted by Geoff W. a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
I picked up this receiver for $300.00 CDN dollars and I am extremely happy with it. I live in a small place and it suits my needs just fine. The power seems great for a 5 X 50. I would recommend this to anybody. Dolby Digital is soooo much better than Pro-Logic. Everyone should have a DVD player!!

Submitted by Aaron a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
Overall, a nice unit. I previously owned a Kenwood KR-V7080 Pro-Logic unit and had no troubles with it. As a result, I stuck with the brand, and picked up the VR-208 unit as my first foray into Dolby Digital.
The sound is clean, but something seems to be missing. I still can't pinpoint it, but it sounds a little bit lifeless. At 50 watts, and a low current, the power is a little too low for my taste. If you have a relatively large room, opt for the 100W VR-209 model. Maybe my listening to a higher end Marantz unit (for $1000 more) spoiled this.

I am returning the unit only because the low power doesn't quite fill my room. But for $330 (Canadian), those in a tight budget will not be disappointed!

BLG CP024: