Kenwood VR-205 A/V Receivers

3.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

Submitted by Theman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I notice that there is no model VR-255 on the list so I picked this model as the closest comparison. I don't know if I got lucky and bought the only model of it kind. (sucker eh!)

Pleased for 1st time buyer products. I need to purchase higher end products.

Any how I have Paradigm Micro x2 in the rear channels and I don't get any sound, there is no way to correct the levels unless you turn down the front channel volumes and loose alot of sound. I tested the Micros and they works very well and give off nice sound. Anyone got any suggestions other than replacing the receiver.

Thanks.

Purchased At:   Krazy Kileys Regina

Submitted by Michael Pineo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
When I first bought my DVD player, I immediately wanted to upgrade from Dolby Pro-Logic to Dolby Digital, but I didn't have a lot to spend. I was able to get this receiver for little money and coupled it with a Technics SH-AC300 Dolby Digital Decoder. It has done a very good job in my modest, low-budget home theater. Even at its low price point, the sound overpowers my current screen size to the point that I plan on getting an RPTV to compliment it. It certainly can't be compared to a Yamaha DSP-A1 or Denon's top of the line model, but for the price it does a respectable job.

Submitted by Saturn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
It all started when I was walking through sears looking for a small T.V.
They had a closeout table set up with all thier demos, damages, and discontinueds. I saw this surround sound reciever sitting there and looked at it casually. It was rated for 250 watts (50x5) and it had its paperwork still with it. At the time I didn't know jack about surround sound or even that much about audio systems in general, but I thought having surround sound would be cool. Besides it was only $99.00!! I also bought a set of cheap pioneer surround speakers for it. I made a deal with the sales man so that if I bought the extended warranty he would send me the missing remote control. A deal was struck and my head first dive in to Home Theater began. Well here it is about 7 months later and I now have a complete setup I am very happy with. The reciever needs more power to the rear channels but otherwise has proven to be very loud and have exceptional sound quality. It doesn't distort at high volumes and packs enough punch to rattle the walls if I'm in the mood. Kenwood has built a very durable great sounding reciever in the VR-205. My only gripe is that the surround channels really need more power. I have to position the surround speakers very close to get them to compete with the front channel.

Submitted by Charlie Sims a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
My home audio all started out with this reciever. It was ok for a beginner but now i realize the error of my ways. It didn't have enough power for good sound. I now own a denon and am pleased with my $1200 purchase.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Clarke Johnston a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
I picked up this Kenwood, at, of all places, Sears, where I found a demo for a mere $169. I was looking for a replacement receiver for the bedroom to drive a pair of Bose 301's. My main criteria was a remote that could be easily handled in the dark, with good tuner preset access, volume adjustability, and an easy to locate mute button. The Kenwood has a very intuitive remote, learnable in a short period of time, and miles ahead of equally priced Pioneer and Technics products. The spring-loaded speaker terminals are a bit cheesy, but the unit weighs pretty hefty. Sound? Not bad at all for the price. Straight stereo is actually the best, I tried a center for (Stereo-3), and disconnected it after ten minutes of listening. Additionally, programming the tuner presets wasn't too bad either, one uses the multi-function knob to assign preset positions to stations. For casual listening,AM radio at the top of the hour for news, a starter for the kids, this unit will prove quite acceptable.

PANAMAX: