Kenwood KR-V9080 A/V Receivers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

Submitted by DL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
This review is for the "stereo" mode only, 120w/channel and 0.005 THD. I'm guessing at the model year. I got this at a pawn shop about 5 years ago for $82. My speakers are PSB Stratus Bronze. The amp in this Kenwood is a real gem. Sound is well defined over the entire frequency range even at higher volume. Bass response stays solid and tight and does not get garbled when the volume goes up. There does not appear to be any frequency range that is overly emphasized which is how I like it. The exception being the vocals and it is only slight. My fix is bass and treble increase of 2 db. After you get past the specs the sound becomes subjective so we have different tastes. If you run across this, grab it. You will not be disappointed. PS; the 4 star "overall" rating is for the remote. It needs to be simplified. Also, at the Kenwood website you can download and print manuals for free. They even found a manual from 1968 and emailed it so I could download and print it. Exceptional customer servive.

Submitted by joarfeve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very powerful receiver with surprisingly very good quality sound, even in soft passages and in line straight mode. Very easy to use but the GUI sucks (even the remote). Good Dolby ProLogic performance and its 3 DSP modes (Arena, Jazz and Stadium) proved some benefit. An excellent choice for only stereo listening

Purchased At:   Telewatt

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Read the Weakness sec.

I have them cranking the ever so loud DCM kx-212 and a DCM powered sub with 2-12' plus a car box with 2-10'. This setup is great for college parties! They will start to make my ears ring after 3 sec. in the same room but wonderful sounding while taking a shower or outside with the window open!

Purchased At:   cir. city

Submitted by Glen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
KR-V9090
AC-3 ready. Has the 5.1 channel inputs. Needs the decoded signal though from a DVD player.
I use Sound Dynamics R-616. Kenwood Center and surround speakers. Monster Cable for front and center speakers. Medium quality cable for surrounds.
Good programmable remote. Though battery lid tends to come off too easily.
Sound quality is great all round.
Sound tampering is limited to Pro logic, 3 stereo, stereo, m.input (for ac-3) and DSP. I don't like DSP it has three setting Jazz club, arena and stadium effects. All sound fake and echoey. I stick with prologic for TV and video, Stereo for music and m.input for DVD.
Inputs are great. 3 audio, 3 audio/video 5.1 channel input + video for dolby dital decoded signal plus aux audio/video at front of unit

Submitted by Ron Hahn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is one rocking receiver. I am using it with 5 DCM speakers. The front speakers are DCM KX212's. Each KX212 has two 12" woofers. The KR-V9080 has the power to drive the 4 ohm KX212's. I play LOUD rock and techno, the neighbors have complained that they can CLEARLY hear my stereo 3 houses down. My house is built out of block !! The bigest weakness it the GUI i hate the damn thing. I dont go in to it very often. I dont like turning on the TV/monitor to make changes while listen to music. I listened to many recivers before choosing Kenwood.

PANAMAX: