JVC RX-8010VBK A/V Receivers

4.32/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

· 120 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.08% THD · 100 watts x 5 min. RMS, into 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD · DVD Multichannel Audio Compatible (5.1 channel analog input and 5 separate amps) for connection to existing and future multichannel sources such as DVD Audio · LCD Multi-Brand A/V Remote Control (VCR/TV/CATV/DBS)

Submitted by monsterfish a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
This receiver started out impressively - awesome DTS and good dolby digital, it's performance in stereo was excellent in the "direct" mode but rather artificial and wanting in the normal mode. It performed well for the first three years THEN the unit was having volume control issues then just "went out" all of a sudden and took the right front speaker with it [thanx jvc] of course NOW the protection unit kicks in - and the unit will not fire up even with no speakers or inputs connected. so on a cost per year basis it's a rather expensive paperweight. I am very dissappointed w/ JVC and surprised by the magnitude of the malfunction. I still have a phaselinear setup and a marantz 3353b that are about 40 years old and have never failed - why can't JVC get at least 10-15 years out of one of their supposedly "flagship" models?

Submitted by Scotty462 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
You know, it has been 4 years since anyone has posted a review for this thing on this site. Shoot, JVC doesn't even make receivers anymore. But, I just have to comment on how competent this thing is. I mean, I bought it just after its release for $350, and here I am 9 years later, still using it. At purchase I had a 5 disc JVC CD changer hooked to it with RCA's. Now I have an XBOX 360, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray, the same JVC CD changer (sturdy bugger), cable box, HTPC, and much of the time an Ipod hooked up to this thing. IT STILL WORKS PERFECTLY!!! I would say that I have gotten my money's worth out of this box, and if it failed tomorrow I would walk away impressed. Bravo JVC. Sounds great (had an old hand-me-down integrated amp prior to this, and the JVC to my memory was much more clear and dynamic on my paradigm monitor 3 v2's). I bought it at 19 years of age, and it is still going strong at 27.

Submitted by nba4life2k a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
This receiver is absolutly amazing. I love this receiver because it does everything that I want. It has a ton of inputs and has good power. Plus you can have 4 front dpeakers on at the same time which is what I like the most

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Scott Ribnicki a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to my January 2001 posting. First of all, thank god I'm not crazy. Nowhere in these postings does it mention a very definite glitch in the digital processing hardware where the center channel just drops completely out of the mix. While watching DVDs in either DD or DTS, the 5.1 surround suddenly and inexplicably switches to a 4 channel surround. To correct the problem, you have to pause the DVD and resume play. It doesn't always happen and seems to be about every third movie or so. Very weird. I was going back and forth trying to determine whether it was my JVC DVD player or the 8010 receiver and was still not convinced until I was reading the reviews for the 9010vbk. There are many many postings regarding this glitch with the 9010. It's always nice to know other people are sharing your pain since the glitch appears to be indicative of the entire xx10VBK platform. I guess it doesn't really matter for me anymore due to some recent problems I've had. Read on...

Other than that, the reciever was working flawlessly until I blew it up last week. I'm not sure if I can blame JVC on this one. My wife and kids were away for the weekend and I was playing the life of the bachelor for the first time in about 2 years. I had the stereo cranked and, I mean cranked. I think the volume indicator was on like, 82. Anyway I'm listening away and suddenly, the music just kicks off and when I open the cabinet up, all of my components areas hot as a driveway on a summer day. I could fry an egg on the receiver. Now, you may ask, why can't I completely blame JVC? Well, it's due to the way I have my equipment arranged. The receiver was sandwiched in between the rack shelves in my cabinet with little room for heat sink cooling. I guess I just fried the thing, literally. So, given the fact that I think I caused the problem, I'm only going to lower the overal rating down one notch and, that's for the DD/DTS center channel issue.

I have decided to continue with JVC and recently put an order in with CDW.com for JVC's latest 80xx version, the RX-8030vbk. Now the middle of April, it hasn't been released for sale yet so, I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. It's supposed to have full 6.1 decoding cabability, CC circuitry for cleaner sound and a lot of other higher end features. For the price of $319.88 it can't be beat.

Purchased At:   Vanns.com

Submitted by steven a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
This little guy is awesome. I got it to augment my mini theatre and it has done that with relish. This was an open box item so I had to set it up with no manual. Not a problem. Got all my dital devices hooked up along with the satellite receiver and vcrs and I love this machine!!!!
I have a sony STR-DE835 which this puts to considerable shame just on the sheer amount of inputs. I'll be tweaking the sound for a few days to feel it out more, but right now, I'm a happy puppy. Sorry for all the cats out there trying to make it too complicated. It isn't that hard, really. Patience and planning ajead of time.

Purchased At:   sears