JVC RX-702B A/V Receivers

• Hybrid Feedback digital amplifier
  • Center channel alignment

Submitted by Mark Lawless a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver for some time now and I have enjoyed it very much. Unique to this receiver to my knowledge is that it is the only one that I have seen with usb input and wireless input. Meaning you may use your laptop or desktop computer to send music to the receiver. I have a huge selection of music by who knows where every cd is. But on my computer I can go and find whatever music I want to listen to. When I go through the usb port I have not heard a loss in quality. Using mp3s etc. there quality unless you use some form of lossless ripping you will hear some difference in quality. I noticed this the most when listening to a fantastic drum solo on a sheffield labs cd. Most things I think would be very hard to hear a difference. I have some fantastic speakers, albeit older speakers B&W 801s hardly used. I had just recently moved these speakers around and oh my gosh now after all these years I love them. Surround sound, sounds great, The amp puts out the power, my speakers eat power. I love the looks of the amp it doesn't take the room of some of the other current receivers out there. Also like the subwoofer volume control feature on the remote. A friends much more expensive Pioneer does not have this feature. I don't have to walk across the room and adjust things when some of the recordings were not recorded well. The B&Ws even though they have some of the best base I have ever heard can be enhanced with a good sub.

Things I don't like about it, all in all I am very happy with this reciever and because of the power and the usb input not sure I would trade for anything out there, but. This receiver only has hdmi 1.1 this is not up to date and the only problem is it does not support hdmi 1.3 or 1080p it does support 1080i don't tell your friends and they will probably never see a difference. I have a 65inch DLP and I don't see a loss in quality going 1080i using a sonly PS3 as a blueray source. My other gripe is that I can't control my cd player Sony 400cd changer using the universal remote that comes with the system.

I did have a hard time getting used to the setup of the inputs I almost returned it, I wasn't able to get sound out of one of the inputs. Called JVC they were no help then I was getting ready to box it up and send it back, I called JVC one more time and found that you have to switch between analog and digital by pressing the audio input button that comes hidden under the slide on the remote (not hard to find kind of hidden) in fact I like how it works. Like to hide the many lesser used buttons on the remotes.

I did get a great price on the 702b, I bought it mail order around xmas time 2008, I have read some professional reviews since I bought it and they have all been positive in fact some mention that is is one of the best sounding amps under $1600.00. Buy one if you can find a good price on it I pretty much love mine I do see room for improvement or I would have given it a 5 out of 5

CSB 1206 BLK: