JVC RX-6500VBK A/V Receivers

2.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $330.00

DD/DTS receiver

Submitted by hmthrmaniac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is the worst receiver I ever heard: the quality of sound was non-existent, and the surround speakers sounded like they were being overloaded or "clipping" was occurring. I have never been a fan of JVC products and this is a classic example why. When the JVC equipment is BRAND NEW it looks chincy at best, and this particular receiver functions are too complicated for the small array of sound field choices to be considered "user friendly". Im very glad I only paid 40.00 for it because it isnt even a good garage unit AT ALL ! I did my best to get it to sound worthy of my affections rather than having to give it to some charitable organization as a gag gift.

I have had some real pieces of crap in my day of owning about 30 different receivers, but this one won the crappiest receiver competition hands down! If worst comes to worse, I 'll use it as my new paper weight and move aside my Sony STR 515 unit for the new reining champion of garbage! You may think this harsh, but really I'm in a really great mood today and thank GOD for that !!

Purchased At:   private sale

Submitted by damanneal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I obviously got this receiver, only paying $50 for this and a matching 5 disc JVC cd changer. I think this receiver does a great job for what it is: an entry level receiver that has all of the functionality to step beyond a home theater in a box type system. It had plenty of power to drive all of my speakers, I enjoyed the ability to adjust the levels of my sub, as well as set the size (small or large) and delays of the other individual speakers. A lot of the other reviews speak of a lot of noise in the center channel, etc. I have experienced none of this. I have enjoyed well many movies on the system, and it does it's job, by making me forget about the system I'm using, and plunging into the plot and experience of movie watching. For a basic receiver, with hookups for a good amount of components, this is the ticket. If purchasing this, as it is no longer available in retail stores, a good value on ebay would be sub $150. Another bonus is the good sized, banana pluggable speaker terminals. I do think the remote has small buttons, but outside of that, this product has no weaknesses. It does what it is intended to do, with few frills, but well.

Purchased At:   moving sale

Submitted by oaktowngirl40 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your time. Just spent time at Sears trying to get one repaired I only had for two years. I had my phillips receiver for almost 10. It came back unrepairable. Now fighting to get a replacement that is not a JVC

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by bo christmas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
please do yourself a favor and don't buy this, it sucks, and hisses and has poor sound...go with denon or onkyo...the extra 100-200 dollars is well worth it!

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by jim barnes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
well i bought this receiver about a year ago...and wow, have i learned alot since then...back then i did poor research on this, and i payed for it. this receiver sucks basically, it's sound quality is muffled and you have to crank the volume up to about 45-50 out of 80 to get loud sound (thats over half the power) which leads to a constant hissing sound of distortion. please don't make the same mistake i made. furthermore, i the digital (optical) input simply decided to not work one day, and i had to send it in to jvc...they couldn't fix it so i got a in store credit to circuit city, which was in a sense a relief cause i got rid of this piece of crap. go with denon, yamaha, sony, or pioneer if you want a nice receiver.

Purchased At:   circuit city