Integra DTR-9.1 A/V Receivers

· THX Certification Ultra · Surround-EX / DTS-ES · Dolby Digital Decoding · DTS Decoding · Cinema Re-Eq

Submitted by cnlt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I went through the entire ONKYO line besides the 989. I have to say the 9.1 upgraded version is INCREDIBLE in every way. Music, movies, sports you name it it does it. I have had nothing but hours of pleasure using this optimal piece of equipment. I did do my homework also. Dennon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, JVC etc. Nothing compares. It's vitually a plug and play. Afew settings to alter to specific tatse, other than that just sit back and enjoy the show. My wife hates it though, I no longer go to the movies, I wait for it to come out on DVD and watch it then. Anyone who owns one will understand why. It is simply better than any theater I ahve been to.

Thanks INTEGRA for the best on the market receiver. !!!!!

Purchased At:   BIG SECRET -- SHHHHH

Submitted by dvaugh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the upgraded version (DTR9.1U2)
which has a MSRP of 3600.00, This is my third reciever from the Onkyo/Integra brand, and my seventh piece of Onkyo/Integra AV equipment overall. Because of my 15 plus years experiance with this name brand equipment I had high
expectations for Integras flagship model.
The price was a bit scary and I had to talk very fast and very convincingly to keep my wife from devorcing me. Fortunatlly the reciever was everything I had hoped for and much more. Since I have purchased two Onkyo Integra recievers in the last six years (before this Integra) the question of why the need for regular upgrades was a serious question of my wifes, the ability to upgrade without buying a new reciever was an important selling point.My home theatre has slowly progressed over the past fifteen years to the level of being the envy of our friends
and we are the first family in our group to have funtioning HDTV. The Integra helped make this possible by allowing me to route ALL switching, audio and video through the reciever. this eliminated at least two remotes and for the first time in years I can control EVERYTHING with one remote only. The sound quality is not believable,I am able to play DVD Audio discs and the 9.1 does them justice. I am hearing old friend CDs like I havent heard them ever before. The wife was reservedly impressed with the new unit untill I put together a few basic/easy macros in the remote control. Now I am a hero again...nobody has to call dad to reconfigure the system from DVD too Satelite (at least nine steps either way). I dont think I could ever talk the little women into letting me buy another new reciever, but I dont believe I will ever need to. I am taking this one into retirement with me.

Purchased At:   Speakerlab

Submitted by Audio Detective a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this Integra system for about 8 months now. I must say that it stands on a shelf of it's own. This unit houses 130 watts per channel into seven channels. I must say that's plenty of power. I have listened to several other recievers including B&K's AVR 307 and Denon's AV-5800. With the exception of weight, both units proved to be standard in both sonic quality and ergonomics. Integra spared no expense when designing this unit. It has assignable video inputs as well as AC-3(Digital) inputs for you laser disc lovers. I managed to find cables long enough to make use of my zone two options in another room (Clean transfer). Now, the only negative I can find in this unit is the dreaded fan noise. I recommend this unit to all true audiophiles!!

System includes

NHT (Speakers)
Panasonic Laser disc player 680
Integra DVP-7.2 (DVD Player)
Philips CD-Recorder
Philips Pronto Remote

Purchased At:   Innovative Systems

Submitted by Angelo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was first interested in purchasing the Onkyo tx ds989, but the place I went to recommend the integra instead. After a 2 week period of listening to the above listed models, the Integra just seemed right. I demoed the AVR 5800, the ADCOM seperates, and the Integra at my house. And with my set up the ADCOM sounded the best, and the denon and integra sound the same. I must point out the ADCOM did not sound better by much, but enough to be noticed. As you can tell I did not go with adcom for three reasons: 1. The difference in sound was so very small that it did not justify the increase in cost 2. No upgrade modules or RC port 3. Had to buy another amp for the surronds or the mains. The denon in my opinion is a mess to use. Sounded great, but a beast to work with. So a week with the Integra sold me on it.

I really enjoy the PCM upsampling, some people say they can't here it I say it sounds smoother and has better seperation between instruments.

THX EX is just great and you have to listen to Star Wars Eps 1 with this. I am going to get the upgrade to DTS ES/ Pro logic II soon. (See that upgrade port is already coming in handy!). I have not heard fan noise yet, but my unit is behind a glass door.

Overall the amps are great have never quit on me, and are dead silent. My motivation to get a new receiver was because the DB940 I had was noisey. The hiss during quite sections of a movie was so annoying.

The Integra is a best buy in my opinion. The Denon is nice, but not so easy to use. And at this price useability should be a must. The only way to get a better sound is to go with high end seperates. And the upgrade port makes sure your $3000 isn't obsolete in 2 weeks.

My set up:

A/V: Integra DTR 9.1
Monitor: Mitsubishi 55907 (a super buy!)
DVD: Panasonic RP56 (best dvd p-scan under a $1000)
PVR: Philips TiVo (upgrade to 96 hrs of record time)
VHS: Sony VCR (it just collects dust now)
Game: Dreamcast (could be replaced by a Xbox soon ;)
CD: Sony 555ES 400 disc cd changer
Remote: Philips Pronto ( a life saver with this much stuff)
A/C: Monster Power HTS3500(helps lower background noise)

Mains: Phase Technology Teatro 11.5 (in a word perfect!)
Center: Phase Technology Teatro 6.5 (best value around)
Sides: Phase Technology Teatro 4.5 (could be great mains)
Rear: Boston Acoustics Bravo (excellent wallmounts)

Purchased At:   Woodbridge Stereo

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I read with humor some of the review od this piece and it is evident that some people love to blow their own horns. In truth, I have used denon for years, and I auditioned the B&K also, and neither was capable of the things this unit was, in my opinion. Everyone has to listen for what they think most important, and to me, the HD switching is a moot point as I run my cables directly from the source - the best way to do it. I like the upgradability, and if you notice, Denon has already come out with their 5800 Mk II to cover the DPL2, while the integra simply pops a disc into your computer, and you upgrade it yourself. This is one of the strong points of the unit, IMHO. Also, I know of very few people, myself included, that can use over 100-120 watts in their homes, and my integra is more than ample for that. As I said, everyone needs to listen and decide what they think the most important, but for me, this unit fills all my needs, and then many more

Purchased At:   local audio/video store