Integra DTR-5.5 A/V Receivers

• 7.1 Channel A-BUS Ready Home Theater Receiver
  • Powered second zone capability

Submitted by stevel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
Ok, so maybe it is a bit early to write a review on this receiver, as I just bought it a week ago, but I couldn't resist.
I purchased this receiver in Montreal, Canada for $875 - after dealing it down from $1200.

I have owned a Prologic Onkyo receiver for the past ten years and have been awaiting for the right set of features to update my receiver for my new home theater installation.

I have found that selecting the right A/V receiver is difficult, as stores are not setup to allow the easy listening and comparison of different models.

I did have the opportunity to listen to the Yamaha RX-V750, Denon AVR-2105 & 3805, and the Marantz SR-7400.

I found the Yamaha to be far to bright for
my taste and the remote control too clunky. As for the other receivers, I listened to them at different locations so it is hard to compare. The clincher was price and front panel operation.

The Integra DTR-5.5 has a great set of features, including powered Zone2, ABUS, component video upconversion and more that can be reviewed on the product web site.

I guess the greatest influence in my choice was front panel operation - which is important so my wife can use it ;)
As well as brand recognition for sound quality. Having had years of listening pleasure with my Onkyo, I was guess I was biased in my choice to go with Integra.

The sound quality does not disappoint; I've connected it to my Tannoy Sensys DC2 front speakers and in Pure Audio mode, it produces a rich sound. In DTS 7.1 mode it have no problem to dish out power to rumble my windows.

The only quirk for the moment is a somewhat loud 'click' when the receiver changes modes while a dvd menu comes up. Sometimes as many as 3 or 4 clicks as it changes audio modes... Something I will have to get used to I guess - but it gives the receiver a cheaper feel to it.

The remtoe control is a solid metal shell model. Really nice since my remotes always seem to take a short fall to the floor every once in a while. It has a neat optional light button to save batteries.
I have yet to completely configure it to all my components, as the manual does not include remote codes for any 3rd party CD players such as my Marantz - this might pose a problem as my Marantz remote is dead so so much for using the learning function on for that. The remote's learning feature is great though, as the limited code list for a JVC dvd player did not allow the 'play' button to work, it quickly learned it.

Oh, as with any receiver of this size and weight - and is it nice and heavy ! Heat might be an issue if it is in too tight a space.

Finding Nemo never sounded so good. As does Lord of The Rings.

Last bit of advice. Research, read, and play with the front panel of any reciver you can get your hands on. If you have the chance to listen to different receivers, choose a good high quality set of speakers to listen to that you can compare with. I chose Paradigm Studio 100s for each demo I was able to have from store to store. At least it kept something similar to the equation, and the Studio's give both relatively high highs and good lows - though I'm sure not everyone would agree with me. Enjoy.

Purchased At:   La Boutique Electron

Submitted by kcramer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
ok ok, I have the DTR-5.3, but it's very very similar. If I didn't have my 5.3 already, this 5.5 would be in my livingroom. TRUST ME. This model beats mine because of its: additional optical and coaxial inputs, zone 2 speaker and line outputs, additional component video input, vector linear shaping circuitry, additional back speaker (7.1 instead of 6.1) and setup microphone tuning. Granted these aren't features I need. I just want them! LOL

Purchased At:   Stereo Land