Harman Kardon DPR 2005 A/V Receivers

• A wide range of multiroom options
  • Assignable rear channels
  • A separate Zone II remote

Submitted by Dave Pascoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
Volume would max out on it's own, scary. Exchanged, 2nd unit freezes and has speakers cut out and sometimes a hissing sound. I think a sledgehammer may be a fix. Any Ideas, looking for some power and quality for 2 grand or less. Not a HARMAN kARDON please, thankyou

Submitted by Donald a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great reciever ! I've done one on one sound comparisons with many other comp/ brands. Great sound ease of use. Great performer.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by King-zog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought a reconditioned unit on Ebay which was sold direct from Harmon Audio. The price was a steal for the power and features, but the main reason I wanted this receiver is it's small height requirement. My wife bought a peice of furniure with fixed shelves of only 6" in height. Since this uses digital amplification, the package was smaller (in height) than any other receiver I could find except the JVC D702. I've been a loyal customer of HK since the early 80's, so this seamed like a perfect fit. They only produced this receiver for one year and this was a factory reconditioned unit, so they obviously had problems with the design. It comes with a 2 year warranty, so thought I'd give it a try. One year latter, after sending back the first two, my third unit is now malfuntioning. Like the first one the controls freeze up and you can't change any of the switching. The probelm comes and goes, but makes the receiver unreliable and unusable. (my second one had a terrible hissing in one of the channels). # 3 is going back and I'm asking for my money back.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by BAXTER STATON a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
this is one of the best receiver's i have owned. this is going back to 1969-- when i bought my frist receiver to bring back home . having in my home theather system accuphase p-300's with the adcom-gfa-555-and dbx-b-3 for a 8ch ,lexicon pre/processor. .i keep the hk-dpr-2005 in my office theather system. it's great. mid's and low end frq's are outstanding. i can't think opf a better receiver at it's price point

Submitted by chibear a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit for the sound, flexibility and price. I use the unit to power the center, surround, and rear channels of my system.

What I like:

1. The programmable inputs, crossovers, etc.: It seems like everthing on this unit is programmable and assignable. You can tailor erch input to your desires and needs.

2. The Remote: I found this really awesome. Again totally programmable with macro and learning capabilities. The parameters of each input are progrmmable on the fly with the remote.Again it's a tool you design for your specific purposes.

3. THE SOUND!!

What I found so-so

The auto speaker balancing system: While it worked, I found myself rebalancing everything while listening. I finally redid it manually and tweeked it in my first few listening sessions. I'm a professional musician, so may be more picky than most on this.

What I didn't like:

1. Shortage of digital inputs. I find it quite sad that a digital path receiver has no dital video inputs (DVI or HDMI) and while the number of coaxial and optical inputs suit my needs, someone with more equipment may find the unit lacking. That being said, I knew this before buying and decided to work around it.

2. Lack of phono imputs. I had to either keep my old stereo preamp or by a new phono preaamp in order to listen to vinyl. Many cheaper units do offer good phono preamps. Again I knew this before buying.

3. Sometimes it takes the unit a few milliseconds to "find" the input you are using, so the first 1/2 second of a CD track may be missing. This does not happen all the time and once the unit is locked in on input, the problem disappears.

Performance: In one word Awesome. I find I prefer the Logic 7 settings for both movies and music

Summary:
Check the back panel of this unit before buying. If what is there suits your needs then go for it.

Purchased At:   Buyer's Club

HK dpr 2005?

I was looking at purchasing a pioneer 1015tx for $499. but I can get a HK dpr 2005 for $100 more. (all Cdn. $) Does anyone think this is a good deal? any insight, opinions would be appreciated. Also I would like to hear from any dpr 2005 owners and thier opinion on this receiver.Read More »

Award-Winning Axiom: