Harman Kardon AVR8000 A/V Receivers

4.63/5 (30 Reviews)

HARMAN KARDON A/V RECEIVER, 110WPC, 7.1-CH, THX ULTRA, DTS-ES, LOGIC 7 => Model AVR-8000

Submitted by tayman1975 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought the hk avr 8000.Great sound awesom power bought broke down after owning for a 2 year limit.Only 2 speakers work for sound know and the others are making a thumping sound when turned on.Also all the optical settings dont even work anymore.I took it to 2 electronic stores to get it fixed and both stores can't figure what's wrong with it.They talked to hk dealer that is located 2000 miles away from me and they said if sent to them there still could be a possible chance after i get it,it still might not be fixed properly.I paid $4000.00 for it and only got 2 years out of it.Don't waste your money and buy something cheaper.The amp is to safisticated for any one to fix.

Submitted by John Guttierres a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
When I saw a Harman/Kardon AVR7200 in one of my neighborhood stores, I fell in love with it especially with all the inputs in the back. I've been looking on eBay for a good deal on the HK AVR7200. Then I came across this AVR8000. It was listed "AS IS" by a company that sells for individuals on eBay. It was a good deal but "AS IS"? I had to take my chance!!! The unit came while we were moving in to Colorado Springs, so I could not test it right away. I had sleepless nights thinking about this receiver. Finally after a couple of months, I installed it. I was waiting to exhale and had my fingers crossed until I can hear audio....EUREKA! It works. Because this is as is, no remote came with it. I hunted down for it. HK does not make it anymore. They offred me a "replacement". After much research, the remote is actually for the AVR 7200. I found one on, where else, eBay. After much haggling with the seller, he sold it to me for $65.00-brand new.

I am driving a pair of BOSE 901's series VI for the front (that I bought for $280.00 from an old lady). My surrounds are Bose AM7. I coupled this AVR8000 with a Technics SE-TX200 (power amplifier 100 wattsx6). I know it's a shame, I am looking for an HK PA4000, though.

I am very satisfied with it. The sound is crisp and you could actually hear the singer inhale before he sings his lines. I am recommending this receiver to anyone who is thinking about buying an HK.

It is heavy but what do you expect from unit that has its tranformer taking up 1/4 of the space? I am now going Harman Kardon all the way. I will just have to keep looking for my deals on eBay.

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Submitted by Matthew Tahon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I need to quit buying Harman Kardon products. While this receiver sounds good and seems to perform well there are a few things that just leave me with a bad taste...The first item is the hum from the center channel. Which, yes, is not heard until you are close to the center channel speaker, but if the THD measurements are the same for all three front channels and I hear nothing from the right and left speakers, then I should not expect to hear any hum from the center channel speaker. I have talked to tech support about this and was told that it was an acceptable amount of hum since I had to be close to the center speaker to hear it. The hum is not at all noticeable while playing music or movies, but I wonder if some how it doesn't rob me of some amperage or hurt the audio quality in some way. The number one problem I've had is the remote. Not only is it the worst button lay out I've seen it also doesn't work properly. I can't get it to learn one function of my satellite remote. I can get it to except a code that works for every function but the "enter" button, but without being able to use the "enter" button it pretty much is useless for satellite duties. The video 4 and 5 buttons are not capable of having learning commands under them, even though the manual list them as being available. And, you can't enter any codes under the video 5 button selector as well. I called tech support and they are sending me a "third" remote, this one is supposed to be from their avr7200 receiver, so I have higher hopes that this might resolve my issues with the remote. I also was one of the unfortunate souls that had the volume problem with an AVR80...There is no sort of panic like that which you experience when your listening to your audio system and all of the sudden the volume cranks to maximum right out of the blue!!!..You rush to the remote to try to turn it down, but it continues to ramp up the volume...so you have to shut it off...I wonder if H/K would replace my Dynaudio 1.3SE's if they were damaged by that? Oh well...I didn't want to find out and the problem was sooo intermittant...I called tech support back in 2001, but they played dumb...I did later find out that H/K had acknowledged the problem and would fix it under warranty...Don't ask me why I went ahead and purchased yet another H/K product...I think the quality of the sound and the great price I was able to get were the main contributing factors....But..the time that I have wasted with tech support and the frustrating attempt at trying to program the remote, has me wanting to never buy another H/K product and to forewarn others of the bad design and engineering that seems now to be rampant at H/K....but oh the sound!...If you already have a good system remote or an extra $100-$200, then I whole heartedly recomend this receiver at this price point.

Purchased At:   Ebay/Harman Kardon S

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
This receiver is everything I expected from it. Plenty of power, built like a flagship receiver. Lots of in's and out's. Logic 7 seems to be the surround of choice, I have not use ProLogic2 or other DSPs because Logic 7 sounds so good. OSD is good, but nothing fancy. Configuring the receiver can be quite teadous since you can configure each surround modes to different settings, changing speakers configuration, channel level, plus other settings differently.
Multi zone (audio and video), Component video(high bandwith), EZ-Set (not really usefull since I use a Radio Shack sound level meter).

I'm replacing my Yamaha DSP A1, which I loved very much, it seems like I always need to get the latest in surround technology. The DSP A1 is being used as a power for the 2 rear chnnels until I sell it. Its such a shame to be using the DSP A1 as a rear channel amp.

Remote is ok, but I'm using a Marants RC5000 so I haven't used the remote that much.

This is a great receiver, I would of purchased the AVR7200 but Harman has not built the AVR7200 like a flagship receiver should be built. My assumption is they will bring out replacement flagship receiver built like the AVR8000 is. THX ultra cerified, gold plated connectors, massive torroidal power transformer, dual power supply.

I had bad experience with HK products before, this is why I purchase a 5 year waranty ($95).

This is a great receiver, at the price I paid for it it, it is probably the best receiver I get right now. I paid $1600 CAD.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by tjwjr75 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got it for a steal at an auction ending at 3:00 am. I have it with 7.1 all Infinity Interludes speakers Hooked up to 65 inch hd projection. I have to watch all movies and listen to all music over again.It is a wonderful experience.

Purchased At:   Ubid--(refurb)-Autho