Harman Kardon AVR220 A/V Receivers

4.69/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $374.99

Harman/Kardon AVR220 Audio/Video Receiver

Submitted by dgjr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Don't let the low watts fools you. AWESOME SOUNDING UNIT!!!!!
Very smooth sounding. I watch alot of T.V. DPL II & Logic 7 come in handy. I like Dolby Pro-Logic better. It just sounds smoother to me. DD & DTS are AWESOME for DVD's. I bought 2 HK's. 120 & the 220. It's the only brand I will buy from now on.

Purchased At:   harmonaudio.com

Submitted by michaelton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver because it appeared to be an excellent buy, and my old gear had become unreliable. I fully expected to be upgrading to another receiver, and putting this one on Ebay. I've now been using it for 16 months. No question, I am pleased with it. I still look at upgrading (to a receiver in the $900-1200 range), but I really can't convince myself that the performance gain justifies the trouble and expense. So the AVR 220 stays.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by jonwes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the AVR-225, but there was no slot for it in the general listings. I purchased an HK AVR-525 a few months back to replace a Kenwood THX receiver I had in my living room. I had actually purchased the new Kenwood 6070 prior to the AVR-525, before noticing that there wasn't much difference between the two. I returned it and got the 525 for $699. What a great move. Much, much better than any Kenwood has ever sounded. Rich, lifelike, and true.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine called and mentioned that he saw the AVR-225 for $299 on sale at Fry's. I thought about it for about an hour and then decided it was definitely time to upgrade my old Kenwood 7070 in my bedroom. The 7070 was only Pro Logic, so I looked forward to the upgrade to Dolby Digital in the bedroom as well. Again, a great move. Excellent sound quality. The features are very similar to the 525, but not quite as extensive and a lower power output. I was pleased to see that were still quite a few configuration options available via the on screen programming. In the price range that I got this unit for, I don't know why anyone would buy anything else. I also don't know why everyone gets caught up in the "watts game". Listen to the 225 or 525 and you'll quickly learn that Sony or Kenwood's 110 watt ratings are not anything to put too much stock into. HK's ratings are much more accurate and much higher on the amperage. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of Harman Kardon's new "x25" series receivers. The reliability is much improved from previous models and the features and sound quality exceed anything comparably priced.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by coool breeze a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great no problems man. great sound absulutly no distortion at any level. Plenty loud for these ear drums clean OK Maybe not for a hugh room with cathedral ceiling but great for my condoClean clean sound Sound effects are cool but I have it hooked up to my computer and my sound card handles all that.real sound at least with my ascend speakes it has been a perfect match.

Purchased At:   pc mall they suck se

Submitted by hertzsae a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the money, I don't think I could have done better. The 55 watts a channel in stereo is definately better then the 100 watt Sonys of the world, but it is still a little underpowered if I want to play music at rediculous levels. My towers are AR 45's that can handle a lot more. The great thing is that even when the reciever is turned all the way up, there is no distortion. I have never experienced that before. If you find a better reciever for $250 after shipping, let me know.

Purchased At:   Ubid