Harman Kardon AVR125 A/V Receivers

4.13/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $255.00

• Dolby Digital(AC3), Pro Logic II and DTS Processing
  • AKM 192kHz 24 Bit Digital to Analog Converters
  • Power Output 45W x 5 Surround, 55W x 2 Stereo, THD <0.07%, 20Hz-20kHz into 8 Ohms
  • Preprogrammed, A/V Remote Control
  • 5.1 Logic 7, VMAx
  • 6 Digital Inputs, 3 Coax & 3 Optical
  • Front Panel Digital Inputs (Coax 3 and Optical 3)
  • 6 Channel Direct Inputs
  • 2 Digital Outputs (Coax and Optical)
  • Front Panel Video 3 Inputs (S-Video 3 and Composite Video 3)
  • Discrete Amplifier Circuitry with High Current Capability and Wide Bandwidth
  • Dual Power Supplies (Secondaries x 2)
  • S-Video Inputs & Outputs (4 Inputs & 2 Outputs)

Submitted by Mathew Rule a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2014

Bottom Line:
I am a serious audiophile and former radio engineer and have been using an AVR 125 for a dozen years. I have superb speakers and a good listening environment. When I bought this receiver I compared it to just about every other unit I could and sonically, the AVR was vastly superior to all of the others. Strong suits are extremely quiet operation (the spec is -95dbm),
a fine "grain" to the sound, obviously low TIM and extremely smooth and detailed response.
Items that are important to me are the ability to bypass the tone controls (I built a variable response crossover for my speakers that eliminates the need for these and the resultant
phase shift they introduce), a configuration that bypasses all of the signal processing, variable gain controls for all speakers for each input and lots of AVR inputs that can be used optically or
at line level. The optical inputs work very well. Using a Sony CX355 CD player for instance, the AVR decodes the optical signal much better than the CD player; the sound quality is much better. The tape outputs do not work with optical decoding however. I was also pleased with the quality of the components and conservative ratings. Mine has thousands of hours of hard use with no issues. I would recommend this receiver with almost no reservations. If I had found a better sounding receiver in the past decade I would have bought it. You'll be happy with this fine unit.
One note to those who have experienced level differences from one channel to another. There is selectable attenuation for each speaker for every input. This is accessed through the front panel "channel" button and must be preset properly for each input.

Submitted by llanderos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver for almost 3 years and this unit is still making me smile. Harman K. has made me a believer of their technology. Very conservatively rated power for receiver(Harman is know for that) because it has plenty of muscle and delivers a beautiful warm sound to my horns. It has plenty of soundfield and connection options for me. I have had no issues at all with this unit even though it's a refurb. I feel bad for the guy who reported difference in volume issues. I recently puchased some Bose 301 series V and man is unit making those baby's sound good!!!!!!

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by irfan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I love this receiver. I bought it for 190 and think its a steal at that price. The quality of the sound is terrific.. i have not had the FR low level issue the other reviewer had. Movies sound good, but acoustic music w/ Logic7M or PLII-Music sounds terrific. Im not using top end speakers either, just HTS20 Infinity HTiB speakers. This DOES run hot in an enclosed space, but now I have it on an external rack and have no issues. despite the 45x5 rating, this receiver can get more than loud enough, I RARELY turn it up past -15, usually have it at -25-20. it could get much louder... then again i dont have power hungry speakers either.

Purchased At:   Harmon online Ebay

Submitted by fonamna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
This baby sounds great. What really turned me on to it was the 6(!) digital inputs. 3 coaxial and 3 optical TOSlink. Most other receivers in this class only have 3 total. I was told by the salesman to not put any HK in any cabinet, as they run hot and need to 'breath'. This was no problem for me, especially at the price. The unit offers a lot of control over sound. The remote isn't that great, but they rarely are. Very satisfied.

Purchased At:   Frys Electronics

Submitted by mingchiliu a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just bought it from hk ebay store, the price is awsome, but unfortunately the volume of front right speaker is much smaller than all the others. You need to incease the volume upto 7 db louder to get the balance sound. Very disappointed. Although this is a refurbished one, but I guess they didn't even test it at all after the recondition work. I really think they had a serious reliability problem. Why? You can find a bunch of refurbished hk receviers on the market. My previous avr65 also die after 1.5year. Will never buy any hk product from now on.

Purchased At:   ebay harman store

HK AVR125 vs ONKYO TXSR600

I was able to get a good deal on both a HK AVR 125 and an Onkyo TXSR600 for about the same price. Now heres the the problem which one to keep. While as of now I really dont have a great pair of tower speakers to test the the recievers to their full potential. Right now I only have a really old ni ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology :