Harman Kardon AVR 85 A/V Receivers

4.47/5 (55 Reviews) MSRP : $1699.00

Audio / Video receiver • Dolby™ Digital Processing on board • Five AV inputs (Three with S-Video) • RF, Coax, and optical inputs for digital sources • 85 watts x 5 channels

Submitted by Jim S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Found one at Salvation Army for 40 bucks. It's driving 2 JBL's & 2 hpm's, loudly, without any effort. Very nice!

Submitted by Cecil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
I believe this receiver was way ahead of it's time. The sound qaulity still trounces all but one receiver (priced almost 2x the price I bought the avr85 for) that I have compared it with over the years. It is durable And continues to work well.

Submitted by Kirk. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for almost 8 years. It really made our bookshelf speakers come alive. Then we purchased a BOSE Acoustimass surround system and,,What a unit. I hooked up the BOSE to a Pioneer receiver and, absolutely NO CONTEST!! very happy with the purchase.

Submitted by jc878 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
Ah yes...The AVR85. What a beast, so clean, bold, powerful and uncluttered. This unit was way ahead of its time back then. I also purchased it at Circuit City back then. Harmon Kardon was contracted by the U.S military for some time and developed high tech components and was able to apply these technology in the consumer line of goods. I now have owned an original unit for 12 yrs and have never had a complaint. Well...for some reason they have blown out several speaker tweeter to include the Infinity overture 1's., my Yamaha's and including my Behringer. And as far as surround sound is concerned, well perhaps I'm a old fool for not improving on changes. DD still sounds fantastic on the HK. I just can't believe that they are being considered so cheap as one person said..$200.00 on ebay ??. It's a shame. I run my Playstation3 to it by fiber optic and the PS3 to my 52" Aquos by hdmi. This unit is old school now but can still kick some new school receivers butt. One last thing, for only 85 watts of power, it is clean, crisp and neutral. Some of the finest details can still be heard and appreciated with this unit.

Submitted by stryker01 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver used about 8 years ago, and it has seen continuous use since. All I can say is that it has surpassed my every expectation both in sound and build quality. In spite of the many recent advances in technology in recent years, this Harman Kardon can still go head-to-head with any modern high-end receiver in terms of sound quality for Stereo or DD 5.1.
These can be found at a great value today on the second-hand market!

Purchased At:   Online - ebay

Denon AVR 85 as tuner

I have used this unit as tuner for FM listening, connected to another AV amplifier. Denon AVR 85 has no speaker connected. Is this ok , or will it not affects the unit. Denon AVR 85>>AV amp>> speaker. Denon AVR volume control level set to -09Read More »

Modify my hk avr 85

Dear friends I have a Harman kardon AVR 85 and like it very much I don't know if I can modify it to have 5.1 channel direct input. from my DVD. Any sugestion will be very appreciated. ThanksRead More »

PANAMAX: