Harman Kardon AVR 85 A/V Receivers

4.49/5 (57 Reviews) MSRP : $1699.00

Audio / Video receiver • Dolby™ Digital Processing on board • Five AV inputs (Three with S-Video) • RF, Coax, and optical inputs for digital sources • 85 watts x 5 channels

Submitted by A Cordova a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2016

Bottom Line:
Seventeen years ago I splurged and purchased an $800 receiver to replace a $200 receiver. I remain impressed by the quality of the receiver and its capabilities. While I wish I didn't have to switch from analog to optical when going to CD from radio, the sound is clean at all volume levels. I have been pleased by the sound when driving large bookshelf 3-way speakers or tiny 5.1 speakers. The purchase was a bargain. I replace my computer every 6 years and my car every 16 years and they cost much more. I don't have the largest TV in my family of 10 but I have the best sounding AV receiver, and that is more important to me. (BTW, I have a 2003 30" Toshiba Flat CRT that sounds and looks better than most LCDs.. I'm waiting for OLED TV to become affordable.)

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2015

Bottom Line:
This receiver was built September, 1999 and it's now April, 2015 when I bought it at a Goodwill for $40 Canadian ($30 U.S.) and it works flawlessly (just missing the remote). It is more than adequate for my needs and will complement the Yamaha CR2020 Stereo Receiver, which I purchased new, that I use in another room. There is very little currently available that approaches the audio specs of these two receivers. It's like in Aladdin's Lamp, inferior new audio equipment replaces superior equipment which old codgers like me who know what's what get cheap. That's also how I got a turntable with a perfect Shure cartridge worth over $400, it was left out as "take this, it's free!" by an idiot.

Submitted by Jim S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Found one at Salvation Army for 40 bucks. It's driving 2 JBL's & 2 hpm's, loudly, without any effort. Very nice!

Submitted by Cecil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
I believe this receiver was way ahead of it's time. The sound qaulity still trounces all but one receiver (priced almost 2x the price I bought the avr85 for) that I have compared it with over the years. It is durable And continues to work well.

Submitted by Kirk. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for almost 8 years. It really made our bookshelf speakers come alive. Then we purchased a BOSE Acoustimass surround system and,,What a unit. I hooked up the BOSE to a Pioneer receiver and, absolutely NO CONTEST!! very happy with the purchase.