Harman Kardon AVR 75 A/V Receivers

4.56/5 (86 Reviews) MSRP : $1499.00

Submitted by bayforever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
old but surprisely strong compared with onkyo 5008,- ok 5008 is somewhat stronger but i use both on my XTZ 99.26 MKII and my old HK avr 75 has power indeed

Submitted by Harley Brotherton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 75 and have owned it, second owner, since 1995. I is installed in my custom home and operates a 5 chanel (speakers) flawlessly. Use it for movies and music. Speakers are all Signet, 2 front plus a center channel, 2 built in rear speakers, and 1 - 200 watt Velodyne subwoofer. Planning a move and want to keep my receiver but will need to get 2 rear channel speakers as the one's I am leaving are built in and can't move them. What would be a good choice as I am keeping my Signet's, exceptionally good quality sound and accurate so I can't put any junk with the speakers I am keeping. Also need some information as I want to use HDMI cables for movies etc but my receiver doesn't have an HDMI plug in. What do I do as my Harmon Kardon will remain a great family member even after my move? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. For those looking for an older Japan built, quality ACR receiver, I would rate my Harmon Kardon a solid 5 of 5 possible. It compares in sound quality to the old tube MacIntosh power amps which were the audiophiles choice prior to the solid state power supplies. Truly one of the best I have ever owned and would buy RIGHT NOW even knowing it is older technology - It simply is Superb!!! Please respond to harleyinml@gmail.com if want to reply to this post. Also, I agree with the other folks that have said the remote leaves abit to be desired. If there is a problem anywhere, the remote is the only one and it still works OK - just won't perform equal to same level as the receiver itself, performs.

Submitted by karister99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome receiver, I'm using it for two channel music and this receiver makes any speaker sings with ease. This unit has a very nice tuner section to it as well. It's old but great and one of the last units came out of Japan before Harman switched their manufacturing base to China. If you can get a unit in good condition in the used market for a decent price jump on it, and you'll love it, as they sold around 11-12 hundred when they came out first.

Submitted by Priscilla a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a refurb in 99 or so and perhaps I should have returned it or gotten warranty service at the time, as it has always had a problem, in that if it gets turned off, it won't turn back on for some time. Actually, you can keep turning it on again and again, and eventually it will stay on. We just leave it on all the time, so it's like it doesn't have a problem.

I have always been impressed by how it sounds. I like to go audition new receivers, and when I come home and listen to mine, I realize I don't need a fancy new one, regardless of how pretty they are, for the sound anyhow, even if I might like a few more features, such as additional digital inputs, or HDTV switching.
Still, this unit has been good enough that I haven't wanted to upgrade.

Though just lately, it seems to be dying, as the sound is gone in many of the modes (stereo, 3 stereo, pro logic). It still works in matrix and hall, so I imagine it won't be long before I replace it.

Purchased At:   onecall.com

Submitted by dtsfan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
What could I say? I had this product for
almost 4 years already.It still perform faultlessly,accept for the remote controll, which is not backlit.Also, no dts decoding,which is alright,since most movies are dolby digital anyway.Many people complaints hk product,I'm lucky ,
cause this unit is pretty reliable. This is my second hk unit.It fill my avr-20 (refurbished) perfectly!Watch the 2 star-wars in it's full 5.1 glory & you're in heaven!Right now,I want to upgrade to the
avr-520,(need dts),anyone interested in
this unit please let me know!This unit is made in Japan!

Purchased At:   ubid.com

HK AVR 75 anlaog bypass (Burr Brown) ??????

I emailed HK to find out if the HK AVR 75 has an analog bypass but they don't respond. I bought a new NAD cd-player with Burr Brown 20 bit Dacs and I'm curious to know if I get the real benefits of them. Does anyone know if the HK AVR 75 has an analog bypass? I use this receiver as a stereo receiv ... Read More »