Harman Kardon AVR 70 A/V Receivers

4.62/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have a Marantz Receiver, a Pioneer Reciver, a Kenwood Reciver and the Harmon Kardon AVR 70. The AVR 70 is the best receiver by far.! I paid $45 froma thrift store and it was in excellent condition. I applied a little elbow grease and polish to it. It now looks like new once again. As for the sound - FANTASTIC! It rocks and plays better than my other newer receivers. It is crips and clear. The volume knob can be a bit tricky though, especially when turning it up. Can't complain - it is a very very good receiver and makes my (2) pair of JBL Studio Monitors thunder. I is great for any type of music. I have recently began listening to new age and dance music. This receiver has no progblem making the new format music (Digital) sound absolutely awesome. Haven't had a receiver like this in a long time. I use to by pass Hqarmon Kardon back in the 70's & 80's - What a Mistake that was! I like my Marantz 2270, but this unit sounds even better. I was going to resell it on ebay, however, after listening to it - it isn't going now where!

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got lucky finding this unit in 1997 while shopping for a television at Circuit City. I happened to be near the home audio section and heard a dismayed customer explaining that he needed to return the H/K because he had a Kenwood C/D player and wanted his audio components to match. Lucky me! Considering that the unit was retailing for nearly $900 at the time I couldn't say no. This unit by far has the richest and fullest sound of any receiver I have owned. It amazes me how other companies list their receivers at much higher power ratings yet they can't lay a finger on the smooth clear power the AVR delivers. Goes to show you that wattage measurements are just not the same from brand to brand. My only complaint with the unit is the awful remote control, but considering that that is all I have as a gripe, I think I did pretty well. I have just upgraded to the AVR525 (had to have the digital) but am looking forward to using this unit in the basement for my second system. Not a bad 1-2 punch!

Purchased At:   Circuit Sh*tty (open

Submitted by ayychingado a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was super happy with this purchase. This unit has tons of power and worked great for movies and music. I recently upgraded to the AVR 7000 to gain Dolby digital.

Submitted by essen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used this receiver for over 5 years now. It simply rocks. I bought it as a refurbished product on UBID and I can safely say that it was the sweetest deal I could have had at that time. It is still in great condition and I use it only for stereo sound nowdays. I have it paired with a HK FL 8300 CD player and the sound is crystal clear.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Luke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, if you are looking for the best the money can buy, I would HIGHLY recommend this unit. Has been the center of my joy since purchasing it in 1999.

Purchased At:   eBay