Harman Kardon AVR 65 A/V Receivers

3.58/5 (256 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

Audio / Video receiver 325-W Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver

Submitted by bobbob a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
HK 3390 left channel failed after 5 years. Also, never had the volume a true 80 watts p/channel should deliver and does deliver in my Yamahas. Bought HK due to perceived quality, but short life, inadequate volume, odd controls, sparse controls make me a "never again' buyer of HK products.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Trevor Silkstone a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought Harman Kardon 3390 receiver this product in july 2010
as part of a hi fi system
It only gets used occasionally, but recently it stopped working. The retailers say it is five months out of warranty and has had fair ware and tear!I am informed It will cost more to repair so I should buy new.
I asked how long are these things supposed to last?
They wont tell me.
Harman Kardon don't want to know.
I had a technics HiFi for 20 years no problems
I have an RGD radiogram 60 years old still working. A Sony mini HiFi in the kitchen, on all day long 10 years old no problems.
What does that say about Harman Kardon products?

Submitted by Ace123 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
A/V 65 still cranking good. Simple to use.

Submitted by Thurston baker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this used at a pawn shop. The surround is kind of complicated but testing the sound is good. There are too many inputs and its sort of heavy for the year it was made. The digital is a plus but the wattage output is lacking and disappointing. It just stopped putting out sound July 09. Purchased and Onkyo with similar wattage capabilities and far less complicated at a far lesser price new. Liked it while it lasted way over priced, bought for $375.

Submitted by Alan Jones a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this product based upon the strength of the brand reputation, sound quality and value for price versus its competitors. Much Internet research was done as this was my first serious AV system. I wanted to get things right.

I didn't.

The quest continues. Harmon Kardon is unforunately off the list of contenders. Their quality is poor, customer service is suspect and parts replacement pricing is outrageous. Time to go with other alternatives like Arcam, Rotel or Nak.

I used to like Onkyo but my research says that their quality is lacking except in their creme de la creme products.

I liked my HK for the first 2 years but then the HK FL8350 CD player broke, which was only used on high holidays and other special events. Then one day I wanted to play a favourite movie and the DTS feature wouldn't play. My local repair shop quoted a mere $500 to fix this slight malfunction. Next the the dog ate the remote. Ok he only chewed off all the luminous buttons. My wife said go to Radio Shack and get a $30 replacement. I said "Nay" this is a HK it does not deserve the insult of a RS generic remote. I went to get the real deal. Well... $175 later I got my real deal. Unfortunately it was the AVR65S not the AVR65 remote (which is not found anymore, except in Middle Earth) So I had to dismatle my new $165 remote, take out the circuit board and replace it with the circuit board from the original remote. Thank God HK makes remote control cases strong enough to survive the chewing exploits of a Cairn Terrier.

But I digress. The sound of the HK was very clean and satisfying, I just wish they made a product that would last longer than 5 years. I don't blame the loss of the remote on HK but why can't they make product that don't break after minimal use.

Purchased At:   Soundsaround

Harman kardon avr 65 - error "protect"

Hi, I have a problem with my avr 65. You can read "protect" in the display and the amp is not working. Is it a serious error with it? or is it easy to fix? Best regards LarsRead More »

High End: