Harman Kardon AVR 510 A/V Receivers

4.31/5 (123 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

A/V receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS

Submitted by shadowice a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
The worst electronics purchase in my 38 years on this planet.
The 510 is a very nice looking amp, but it is UGLY on the inside.
Started off with the first 510 power supply dying the first day. Received a replacement from the store immediately.
The following years were pretty good. Then just within the past 4 months the death of an amp started.
The worst thing possible. A low hum showed up - no matter if anything was playing or not - always a hum.
Next the switching started acting up. Play a DVD - input selected to DVD - NOTHING. Choose something else and then go back and finally it would click in.
Of course one thing that irked me was the initial playing. The receiver would take its sweat time in playing your source. So you never actually hear the very beginning of - well - anything.
So I have let it take a dirt nap. Purchased an Onkyo (less then what I bought the 510 for). And found that the Harmon was horrible.
Stay away from the junk.
p.s. The 5 disk DVD also had troubles. The store was useless also.

Purchased At:   Soundsaround

Submitted by cctw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've read some of these reviews to my dismay. I've had only one problem with my receiver which is the volume knob. When I go to turn it up or down it usually goes up and up. The volume is now adjusted only with the remote now. Other than that, I am totally satisfied with the performance and quality. It runs my ns1000's just fine. I'm looking to expand my system and look forward to seeing how much more it will do for me.

Purchased At:   Merilville Indiana

Submitted by TVornhagen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I think from reading all of the other reviews that at some point Harman Kardon must have had a quality control issue. This condition may still exist. I guess I have been lucky because I have never had a problem with this unit, and I have put it under considerable stress. I have Axiom M80ti's connected to it. They have a lower impedence (4ohms) which pushes the amp much harder. It has never gone into protection mode even after hours of use. I did mount an external fan on top of the unit, which comes on when the unit itself comes on. Even so, I have cranked it up to levels probably not meant for human ears for any length of time and it still works perfect today. I am a little disappointed with the remote. It's ugly and initially it was a little hard to figure out. It does well with movies (especially DTS) also. It is always unfortunate when someone has a bad experience with a product that they expect to perform well. I feel from reading some of these other reviews that I dodged a bullett.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by WalkinDuce a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
See review WalkinDuce, Audiophile, from Tennessee
After 8 weeks of waiting I called HK head office to complain. They contacted the service center and returned my call within a few days saying that the parts were in the shipping process. After another week passed I called the service center and was told no parts were received. I called HK and spoke to a supervisor and told him all that had been going on . He said he would check in to it personally. He returned my cal the next day and told me that they were out of the 510s and would send a better unit after receiving the old one back. I called the service center to have the old unit shipped back. A week passed and I called the service center they said the unit was shipped out a week ago and it should be back at HK. A call to HK and no unit .HK had heard the same story from the service center. HK said they were shipping out the upgrade unit next day air with a little bonus for the trouble. Well I am wondering if the hole problem wasn't with the service center in the first place. The unit arrived as promised and WHAT a BONUS!!! If this is this guys definition of "little" I would like to be on his "BIG Christmas List"!
Any way it was worth the wait and phone calls. Thanks Harmon Kardon
Dan Day

Purchased At:   HKs online store EBa

Submitted by jupe jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
An update on my AVR 510. I got it back after eight weeks of waiting. It ran fine! for about 10 minutes. Then, Voila, no sound out of the right front speaker. Hook up the ol' Realistic: everything works fine (HK blamed other components in my sound system). I called HK and they said that I should ship it to another "premier" service center in Calif. at my own expense. I have wasted enough time on this garbage. I am getting a Denon reveiver next.

Purchased At:   onecall.com

Trouble with bass mgmt on HK AVR 510 and/or Pioneer 563a

Hello all.. I'm new to this forum. I thought I would post a small dillema I have to see if any of you can give me some advice. Here's my problem: I recently bought a Pioneer 563a universal player to use for movies, SACD, and DVD-A. I hooked it up to my HK AVR510 via a digital coax (for DVD ... Read More »

SFLAT: