Harman Kardon AVR-445 A/V Receivers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1299.00

7 x 65 W 7.1 A/V Receiver with HDMI switching

Submitted by usmankhan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hi, I got my brand new AVR 445 two months ago. I was very excited when i got it. Then there was a problem. i noticed that the AVR was getting hot and eventually after a weeks time its started shutting off. On the internet i came across many people who were having similar problem and none seem to have a solution. I then decided to talk to HARMON manufacturer near my country as i had no authorized sale and service center in my country. I posted a query on their web site and they were kind enough to reply back though the reply came a bit late. Anyways.. they told me to upgrade the firmware. I couldnt digest it but eventually i did the upgrade and it did miracles with my AVR. The overheating problem vanished and now the AVR sounds much better and even louder with more bass then before with the same volume and setting level.
The firmware for this model is available on HK official site however, be careful to select the correct firmware according to your country make. (for us select firmware of your AVR model with 110-120v and for other regions select firmware of your AVR model with 220-240v). The upgrade process is as simple as installing a small software in your pc but the process needs to be done with care.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by soundsaroundrichie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp for 7.1, and its power specs being the most truthfully advertised. I have 2 Pairs of Athena's audition asb 2.1 for fronts and surrounds and asc 1 (center) and asb 1.1 for surround backs. I am a home theater installer so I know my way around this stuff. This Av receiver has a ton of power I think well beyond the rated power. It drives my bookshelf speakers so hard but yet so clean that I have to keep the grilles off so I can keep an eye on the excursion of my subs to make sure I don't blow them. The sound is so clean I hear little to no distortion popping crackling ect at extremely high volumes. The one draw back is that it sound is better, when you manually set up this receiver, taking extra care with treble/bass controls, speaker size, speaker levels etc. This receiver coasts easily through my most demanding use when I turn it loud the whole block knows. Logic 7 music is awesome almost reason alone to buy this receiver.

Purchased At:   futureshop

Submitted by kfilly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This receiver rocks! I upgraded from an H/K AVR-340. I have to say that this unit is a much better buy. Although the 445 is only rated at ten more watts per channel than the 340, it sounds more like a hundred. My front speakers are driven noticeably harder. The sound quality is superb. Music sounds incredibly real. Every fine detail can be heard. The highs are crystal clear. The lows are deep and rich. Bass drums can be felt as well as heard. The mids are transparent. Movies are also brought to life. Special effects in movies are noticeable. The extra power brings a lot of authority to things like explosions/gunfights etc. Those things will be noticed!

Setting the receiver up was very simple. The EZ/Set EQ does an awesome job of configuring the system to the listening environment. The receiver does not have a lot of unnecessary surround modes or other more less useless gimmicky features. Although, it does have the basic Hall and Theater surround modes that are found on just about any other receiver. However, it does have a surround mode developed by HK called Logic 7. I prefer this for its more natural sounding distrubution of sound throughout the listening environment. The remote is ok. Nothing great but it is a leap in technology over the remote that came with AVR 340. I really cannot go on too much more about the remote because I only used it for the intial set up. I use an HK TC-30 remote to control my system.

The 445 has the ability to switch between two different HDMI inputs. I do not use that feature so I cannot say how good it works. The receiver is also capable of upconverting other video inputs up to the component video level. There are plenty of different connection options available. It will be very hard to use every single input on this receiver. The 445 also has the option to be used as a multi-room set up. The rear amplifiers are reassignable, and they can be used to power speakers in a second room.

Purchased At:   Abes of Maine