Harman Kardon AVR 40 A/V Receivers

4.3/5 (50 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Submitted by Brantley Allen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2016

Bottom Line:
I received this from a lady at work after she replaced the system with a Sonos. I use it as my primary audio switching unit in my office.  I have my computer, Sony CDR-W33 and Kenwood TS-590 amateur radio attached to it.
This unit sounds good with all the tone controls flat. I've listened to three model of Sennheiser headphones and three models of speakers with it.  It is an excellent receiver.
The only con is a slight speaker hum that is present regardless of the input.  It is a low noise and disappears even with low volume, but I did need to report it.
I would definitely recommend this unit despite the late date after manufacture.

Submitted by CATZ13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS HK. I HAVE PAIRED IT WITH NUMEROUS SETS OF SPEAKERS(CURRENTLY WITH BOSTON ACOUSTICS ) ALL I CAN SAY IS IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON AN AVR-40,DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GRAB IT.

Purchased At:   INDIVIDUAL

Submitted by Bryan Little a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not Dolby-Digital, but for Pro-logic a great receiver.
I use it as a pre-amp, with separate power amps for front and rear. The receiver only powers my center speaker...

Compared to my Hafler preamp, not quite as clean as the volume is turned up. But still a pretty clean, no nonsense unit. Try to find one used.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Julien Rohads a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
It is unfornate that my unit had to break itself after a year. It's still covered by warranty, but I'm having a little trouble finding my proof of purchase...ack! might have to pay full price for repairs. After a year of perfect and excellent performance, the left channel is fading. Right now I have the balance at 90 defrees into emphasizing left to give a weakened, but balanced sound. Also, when it first starts up, it makes a hiss in the left for about a second now. Refurbished products are catching up to me right now - the money I saved is being sucked out of the wallet.

My first "real" component system:

Harman Kardon AVR 40 (stereo mode of course)
Boston Acoustics CR9s
Radio SHACK!!! wires (16gauge)
Fisher "Studio Standard" ancient CD player (AD-815)

I'm still in love with this one, and it will be worth the repairs. I think we'll stay together even through the hardships. 4 is my overall rating because it cannot be rated at "3 Stars - Average product" & the value so far (before repairs) is a "Bargain".

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by greg gardiner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
people just have so many different opinions. I have read thru them all almost.some say bright or lack of bass or whatever. I get so tired of people who think they are audiophiles or think they have this given ability to hear sounds. well there is no perfect speaker or amplifier out there you just appreciate the sound u like and live with the rest. in other words stop criticizing things and appreciate what u have. i know i could have better but i also know my set up is good and is not easily blown away. i have studied stereos for a long time now and there is a lot of over emphasis on speaker wire, or which amplifier sounds better. i get tired of it . i have heard good sound out of seemingly
obsolete equipment merely because the person who owned it had a lot of experience over time lisrening to different equipment and knew what to listen for.i have literally heard the drum beats reach out and grab u where u r at.wow did i ever learn from that person and knew after that what i wanted in my home.

Purchased At:   fries