Harman Kardon AVR 335 A/V Receivers

• DTS: 55dB
  • Frequency Response at 1W (+0dB,–3dB): 10Hz – 130kHz

Submitted by treboose a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is my first real HT system. And let me say that I couldn't be much happier. I've had this reciever for 3 years now and have not had any probems at all.
I work for diectv and I see allot of tv's and av reciever's all the time.(and install them) so I know what's crap and what's great. And let me tell u that the avr 335 is a fantastic reciever.
Its easy to work with. It has a digital display that lets you know if all speakers are on and what type of audio source is coming in. It also converts all audio into 7.1 wich is a big plus for me.( does not do true 7.1 audio such as from blu-ray movies)
All in all Harmon kardon is the way to go.

Purchased At:   circuitcity

Submitted by dpl2008msw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
The only research I conducted before my purchase was finding the lowest price for a new and complete Harman Kardon system because I knew, or at least believed, HK was high-end AV equipment.

Purchased At:   B&H

Submitted by INANNAE a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
I received this model in January 07 from Vance McCall via e-bay for Harmon Kardon. It is a reconditioned model with full factory warranty. When I first received it I was too busy and traveling to hook it up. Matter of fact it wasn't until September 07 that I got around to installing the unit in my system. It kept cutting out in stereo and in surround. I had it disconnected and the old AV30 model reinstalled. Mr. McCall never sent the paperwork to register the unit and never sent the receiver receipt (invoice) so I could register it and doesn't answer calls. It doesn't work at all now. So I am being forced to have an outside service center take a look at it at my expense. It's definitely the LAST Harmon Kardon product I'll ever own. The AV30 I had for 15 years cuts in and out itself but it works enough for now. I'll now look at a DEON or PIONEER.

Purchased At:   Vance McCall (intern

Submitted by 162db a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the AVR-330. Bought from HK direct as a refurb unit. First off this was my very first HT receiver. I mainly used the internal dac via optical cable from my dvd player for music.

I Don't have a dedicated cd player yet but I will soon. The difference I noticed was night and day. On Rage Against The Machine - Pocket Full Of Shells I could actually hear the full decay of the bass guitar, something I've never heard before using the internal dac on the dvd player.

Instruments were more seperated and I could now clearly hear each instrument accurately as it was being played. I could also hear each note with accuracy on the guitar even during complex musical passages. Again, something I've never heard before on the dvd player. This is a great sounding receiver....when it was working.

6 days after I got it, it started to automatically shut off for no reason. For the money, it is hard to beat if you get a fully working model.

I can't say much else about it since I didn't even get to use it for a week. HK has great customer service though. Gave me the option of a refund or an exchange, I took the refund.

Submitted by petermj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought the AVR335 as a replacement for my HK AVR 2500 surround receiver. I had thought of buying a Denon 3805, but decided to go with a Harman Kardon surround receiver. First because I really like the dynamic, detailed and transparent Harman Kardon sound, where the dynamic characteristics of every instruments is clearly reproduced, and secondly because only Harman Kardon (and Lexicon, a Harman owned company) has Logic 7 surround processing, which I find is the best surround mode to my ears.

I also compared with Denon 2105, but it is obvious that the HK AVR335 has a much more powerful powersupply. Even though the AVR335 is rated at 7 x 55 wats, the max. consumption of the receiver is 890 watts. And the High Instantaneous Current Capability is rated at 35 amps. That leaves ample of dynamic headroom!
The Denon 2105 receiver, in contrast, is rated at 7 x 90 watts, but the powersupply is only rated at 5.2 amps. So this means it can barely give 90 watts in all 7 channels at the same time. And in this case, there would not be any headroom left for dynamic explosions in the music.

When I first heard the sound of the AVR335, I felt like I was in audio nirvana! This baby is noticeable more powerful than the AVR2500, although that receiver plays very well and quite loud. The sound is very detailed, dynamic, and transparent. And the soundstage is wide and clearly defined. I once had a mid-end Onkyo integrated amplifier, and although it had a lot of good qualities, I was disappointed with the sound with seemed rather "flat" in some way. The Harman Kardon sound feels more engaging and dynamic.

Before buying the AVR335, I also had 7 speakers (Dali Evidence 470SE front, Dali Blue 8008 at the sides,Dali Blue center speaker, and Dali Blue surround speakers in the back). The last two was hooked up to an old NAD 380 amplifier.
But upgrading to 7.1 surround has really been like moving up into another dimension of music! The feeling of being enveloped by sound is much stronger. I find myself listening to music in either 7 channel stereo or in Logic 7. With Logic 7 the soundstage is more focused in the front. I find that I prefer the sound of Logic 7, where the soundfield seem to be more coherent than Dolby Prologic IIx.

What surprised me a bit, when unpacking it, was that the AVR335 is app. 1 ½ inch shorter in depth than the AVR2500. When you look inside the cabinet, the components in the AVR335 is much tighter packed. There is also a fan in the rear, although I have never heard it in action. The AVR335 uses 118 watts when idle, and that seems quite a lot. The unit runs very warm if not ample of space is allowed over it. I have a Onkyo DX-C380 multi cd-player on top of it, and before I elevated it about an inch, both the AVR335 and the cd-player ran very hot. After elevating the cd-player, the AVR335 seems noticeably cooler, while the cd-player still gets very warm. Harman Kardon recommends 10 centimeters, about 4 inches, of free space over the receiver, and that seems like a good advice to follow.

About the appearance: the large display is very informative, and nice to look at. And the volume knob with the blue light inside of it, is very cool to look at!

As a conclusion, I can say that I am extremely happy and pleased with my purchase. The AVR335 is a very powerful and extremely musical surround receiver, and I can warmly recommend it!

Purchased At:   Pixmania.com

info on Harmon AVR 335

Hi,I wanted to know all about the H\K 335.I am in the marked for one.I can get it new for $400.00 deleveried.All input will be concidered.The last receiver I bought was a Pioneer 1250..Still kicks butt with my JBL 166 Studio's.BUT it not for todays ears..Hoping to hear some good input... :cool:Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: