Harman Kardon AVR 30 A/V Receivers

4.63/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $1150.00

Submitted by 8watt300b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought this unit brand new from International Stereo in Edmonton Alberta Canada. It had a very high retail price and as it was going to be out dated, they discounted it a bit.
Here I am 18 years later and the old HK has stayed with me through adolescent years, babies and now kids. I have bought 2 new receivers since then but refuse to get rid of the old HK. It does duty in the main living room so if the kids abuse it....well let's say its my sacrificial lamb.
I will be auditioning a pair of speakers for a guy today....I am going to take the Marantz receiver i have hooked up as a head unit and replace it with the H/K AVR 30. Both good receivers, just think the HK might work better in this application.
Decent power, good sound. does nothing great but everything well. Obviously outdated.
Would totally still recommend picking one up for a basic 2 channel or even a 4 channel system although it doesn't manage any current codecs.

Submitted by mashimaro a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought the AVR30 second hand for 150$. It was probably the best purchase i have ever made.
I first used a pair of crappy Jamo 170 spekers, but i cranked the volume up to loud and blew the speakers. I then bought a pair of DALI 505 speakers, which I still use and am very pleased with.
I listen to all sorts of music, ranging from classic, pop, rock, and heavy metal to trance.
I only use the AVR30 for music, and not for home theatre.
The AVR30 is a great piece of equipment. Matched with my speakers it gives a pretty warm sound, that I like. I can play any type of music at low, medium or really loud volume, and it still sounds terriffic. It really has lots of power.
During the three years I have owned it, I have had no problems with it. It's very reliable.
The remote has good and bad sides. It works no matter what direction I point it, and I like that. The bad part is that all the buttons are exactly the same, and there is a lit of them, so using the remote in the dark, without being able to see which button you are pushing takes a good deal of practice.

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by tmh363 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit was my first a/v receiver and I have owned it since late 1992. Long ago I found that pairing H-K with JBL speakers was a natural, and this combo hasn't disappointed for ten years plus. Of course, Dolby digital and such had to come along shortly after I bought the unit but it has served me and my family faithfully since new. The rated power is definitely on the lower end numerically
but this thing drives speakers like a much more powerful unit would, it never sounds strained. I'll be sorry to pull it out of my rack soon, but it no longer has the video switching flexibility I need for HDTV and the like. It will make a fine second stereo system however.

Purchased At:   American TV

Submitted by john2226us a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a very good and solid piece of equipment. The sound it produces is clean and warm. Dont let the 65w per channel rating fool you. This reciever can push just about any speaker you plug into it. It does so cleanly. I bought this for stero listening. I dont find the lack of 5.1 a loss in this case. I paired it with an H&K FL8400 CD Changer. This combination produces very accurate and clean music reproduction. You would need to spend 10 times the amount I paid for this reciever to get an external amp with this kind of clean power. It doesnt color the music, or enhance things artifically. If its a bad recording you will hear it. If you are on a tight budget as i was find one of these recievers. They can be had under $200 if you look around. No reciever i have heard under $1000 sounds any clearer or cleaner than this one does. The ones i have heard that sounded slighty better where also paired with better speakers, cables and CD players than i have. So it might not even be the reciever. All in all this is a great buy for those on a budget, or at any price.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by blaster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I read the review where the reviewer gave this unit a 1 rating and felt I needed to respond. After having this unit for over seven years I can say it is a very reliable and quality unit. I took the first reciever back because it did not have power to give me the volume I needed. I spent too much for this reciever but after hearing the clarity of the sound I rationalized the cost. It was worth it. After seven years of use this simple, quality reciever is still in use. I agree with another reviewer who said it has a simplicity and quality about it. I say if your listening to music and can find this unit used buy it. I would bet money for the crisp clarity of sound against any amp within a $2000 price range. The guy who rated this reciever a one is full of it, or has a lemon.

Purchased At:   South Bend